advice on Mooncup/ menstrual cup

(11 Posts)
nennyrainbow Fri 17-Jun-16 16:36:04

Have been trying to get to grips with a menstrual cup after reading about them on here. So I bought a cheap one in a large size from China and have tried it out for a couple of cycles now. Initially I had lots of leakage, in fact more leakage than containment, so I googled Mooncup problems and read that the most common mistake women make is inserting it too high, which causes it not to fit properly. So this time, I've been putting it in lower down as well as experimenting with different folding techniques for insertion.

It's been going fine for the past couple of days including night times and then suddenly today it keeps falling out. First time, I was doing some moderately strenuous exercise cutting the hedge and taking up the clippings when I felt it slipping. So shuffled back indoors and re-inserted it higher up. Cue more leakage over the next hour or so. So just before the school run this afternoon, I removed it ( almost empty) and reinserted slightly lower, then drove to school. Parked outside, picked up DCs, walking back to car when....it started to slip again. Very awkward trying to get back to car without anyone noticing my strange gait blush as I really didn't want to explain that one. And then when I got back to the car, bent over to fold the buggy, it really did fall out shock. And I had to drive home with it half sticking out (luckily had a pad on and a long top covering that area grin. Didn't make it any less uncomfortable though...

So my questions are: is there any difference in quality / effectiveness between the branded versions ( Mooncup etc) and the cheap ones available on eBay / Amazon etc? Or are my pelvic floor muscles so shot to pieces after 4 childbirths that I won't be able to get one to work without either leakage or the risk of slipping during exercise?
I have also noticed it seems to work better if it's been in all night and I leave emptying it the next day as late as possible. Something about lying down for 8 hours that makes it sit in the right place?

nennyrainbow Fri 17-Jun-16 23:07:09

Anyone? Don't make me post in AIBU to get an answergrin

Taken the bloody wink thing out now after another major leakage and an almost empty cup. I really want to make this work because I hate all the waste of tampons that has to be binned.

Felascloak Fri 17-Jun-16 23:15:32

Annoyingly they are all different and you need the right size/firmness for you. Sounds like you need a wider one to stop it slipping. Here's a comparison page
theecofriendlyfamily.com/2012/04/what-menstrual-cup-is-right-for-you/
I use Lunette and its ok, more capacity than the mooncup I had before and I have heavy periods.
I have a Meluna soft too but a faff to get open.
Standard Meluna has good reviews and isn't too expensive.
I recommend feminine wear as a seller, quick dispatch and great range, plus love hearts so all good smile

PurpleThursday Fri 17-Jun-16 23:39:02

I would suggest trying a branded one.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 17-Jun-16 23:49:21

Try a branded one and are you twisting it after insertion?

nennyrainbow Sat 18-Jun-16 13:43:06

Thank you. No, I'm not twisting it AFAIK. Should I be?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 18-Jun-16 13:48:40

Yes of course, otherwise it won't form a seal. Give it a half turn once it's in.

PurpleThursday Sat 18-Jun-16 17:38:43

Look at YouTube for insertion instructikns

petmyunicorn Sat 18-Jun-16 17:53:15

Lots like moon cup, but I swear by the diva cup. Can't imagine it falling out. Definitely get a branded one.

Make sure you feel it pop open, and check it is fully open. Otherwise it won't work and could slip out. If it's fully open, give it a few twists to form a seal.

Everyone told me it took three cycles to get things down pat, and I'd say that was about right. Now I could never stop using my diva cup!

Good luck.

nennyrainbow Sat 18-Jun-16 22:10:42

I didn't know you had to twist it! Mine didn't come with any instructions - just the cup in some packaging ( well that's what you get for buying for £2.50 on eBay from China grin)
I did the punch down fold and then put it in and let it spring into shape. Not sure how easy it will be to twist once it's in, as the handle bit is flexible, but will have a go. Will try you tube too. Ta smile

Natsku Sat 18-Jun-16 22:16:53

Definitely twist it! And maybe try another brand - I have Lunette and its fab.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now