Talk

Advanced search

Pants for skinny child

(22 Posts)
duchesse Wed 08-Jun-16 09:03:11

Does anybody have any brand recommendations for pants for a skinny 6.7 yo please? Fed up with gapey pants on my DD, or ones that she needs to hold up when she runs. She's just grown out of age 3 ones, but the GAP 4-5y ones she has are ridiculous- they don't stay up AND they gape at the leg.

What do you recommend? Braces? Make to measure?

duchesse Wed 08-Jun-16 09:04:24

BTW, I tried googling this but that turned out to be a Very Bad Idea. There is no set of search terms I tried that didn't turn up some highly dubious results.

RueDeWakening Wed 08-Jun-16 09:06:23

Made to measure! I get pants for my skinny 9 yo DD from this Facebook page. They're really nice and fit much better than shop bought.

MachiKoro Wed 08-Jun-16 09:08:40

Duchesse- do you mean pants as in underwear, or pants as in northern trousers?

MachiKoro Wed 08-Jun-16 09:13:39

Assuming undies, dd has the boden ones, and they've always fit nicely (but she is built like a boy, tbh). But they've no gaping at the crotch when she sits crossedlegged. They stay up too, but size, she goes down so she's in 7-8 now. But is 9. We've found that 'boy short' style tend to stay up well too. Usually sainsburys or John Lewis have them.
With my son, I find just buying JL pants 2 ages down works.

MachiKoro Wed 08-Jun-16 09:16:20

I do think in general smaller sizes fit snuggly, and larger sizes are v flimsy/gapey, seems across all brands.

hewl Wed 08-Jun-16 09:17:20

Boden are really good for skinny kids. Also M and S are pretty good also. Tesco matalan etc hopeless

duchesse Wed 08-Jun-16 09:23:17

Yep, knickers! Sorry. Goes without saying we have to seek out adjustable waist clothing as well...

CelticPromise Wed 08-Jun-16 09:27:36

Vertbaudet is great for narrow fit clothing. Pants I just have to go by trial and error. My 6yo wears age 2-3 pants mostly, some brands fit better than others.

duchesse Wed 08-Jun-16 09:28:01

So far I've tried: Gap (4-5 still waaaay too big but not long enough in a smaller size- these have been sitting in her cupboard for 3 years now waiting to be the right size), John Lewis (still too big in age 4-5, she's just grown out of age 3 JL ones), Sainsburys (grew out of age 3 recently and age 4 and above still too big). Not yet tried Boden ones but willing to give it a whirl if others have found they're snugger. What size would you recommend- would 4-5 be OK do you think?

hewl Wed 08-Jun-16 09:29:26

also try that v nice but expensive french brand

Vajazzler Wed 08-Jun-16 09:29:31

My daughter wears short style knickers from primark. They are very stretchy and comfortable and no gaping!

duchesse Wed 08-Jun-16 09:29:39

I might have to ask my mother or sister to pick up some age 5 Petit Bateau ones as the 6-8 ones are defo too big still.

MachiKoro Wed 08-Jun-16 09:29:51

4-5 sounds right. They come further up the tummy, so they probably stay up by having better friction coefficient than flimsy ones, IYSWIM! grin
They're nice thick fabric too, and dd says they're v comfy.

MachiKoro Wed 08-Jun-16 09:31:12

Actually, petit bateau have v similar cut/fabric to boden. Dd had some when she was much younger, but our JL stopped stocking them.

AMomentaryLapseOfReason Wed 08-Jun-16 09:32:48

Vertbaudet and Debenhams were my go to shops for skinny DD. JL are huge on her, as are next.

Bogburglar99 Wed 08-Jun-16 09:33:32

Skinny 8yo DD seems to be all right in M and S briefs (size 5-6). So maybe an M and S 4-5?

ApricotExpat Wed 08-Jun-16 09:38:32

Petit Bateau - expensive, but are great for skinny bums!

duchesse Wed 08-Jun-16 12:57:57

I know, it seems a bit ridiculous to spend more on pants for DD than I do on me, but Petit bateau seems to be the only make I've found that actually fits my daughters properly! I used to have to buy the older DDs underwear in France and I just wondered whether any British makes would do the trick. I've had a close look at the Boden ones and they indeed seem very similar in the shape to the Petit Bateau ones I trust.

MachiKoro Wed 08-Jun-16 13:38:57

Well they may be pricey initially, but they last ages. I think dd has been wearing hers about two years now!

SavoyCabbage Wed 08-Jun-16 13:41:00

My skinny dd has boden knickers. She's nine and she's in age 5-6. They are only her second size of knickers so although they are expensive they last for years because they are good quality and they don't grow out of them.

duchesse Sun 11-Sep-16 08:16:24

Thanks all! I ended up picking up some more Petit Bateau ones while we were in France this summer (ages 5 and 6, both fit!). The Boden ones do look rather good- if I weren't such a frequent visitor to France I'd probably have those.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now