Which juice do you give your kids/toddlers?

(14 Posts)
carlaboyle1984 Thu 24-Mar-16 06:29:29

My 2 year old likes juice (I struggle to get her to drink just water)
Just wondering which juice everyone else buys their kids/tots? I got told fruit shoots are full of artificial sweeteners which are REALLY bad (as are the large bottles of Robinsons no sugar cordial). There's the option of real fruit juice watered down but the dentist told me not to give my tot this either as the natural sugars damage teeth. Just wondered what you guys buy?

dementedpixie Thu 24-Mar-16 06:34:27

I think.i used no added sugar 'high juice' so it had more natural juice and hopefully not as much sweeteners.

Abbbinob Thu 24-Mar-16 06:36:18

I buy sugar free squash and just chuck on the back that it doesn't have aspartame in it. And flavoured water from saonsburys, mine won't touch water either

MarthaMonkeynuts Thu 24-Mar-16 06:37:59

All juice will damage teeth. Restrict to meal times and offer milk or water only between meals.

MyBreadIsEggy Thu 24-Mar-16 06:41:56

Mine has a tiny bit of no added sugar squash with water at meal times, and water or milk in between meals. If I'm honest, mumsnet land is the only place I've ever heard of aspartame being the stuff of satan confused so I've never really checked the label for it confused I asked my HV about it and she assured me that I would have to feed my DD gallon upon gallon of aspartame laced juice to be dangerous!

dementedpixie Thu 24-Mar-16 06:43:56

Aspartame has not been shown to be dangerous (unless you visit some quacky scaremongering site)

mouldycheesefan Thu 24-Mar-16 06:47:20

None just milk or wAter.
Fruit juice and squash are dire for teeth.

Abbbinob Thu 24-Mar-16 06:59:31

Oh I kept reading on here that it was really bad so started checkingblush

Abbbinob Thu 24-Mar-16 07:01:41

Oh and I give him it from a cup with a built in straw because I think it's meant to be better for teeth? All well and good saying water is better but mine won't drink it at all

carlaboyle1984 Thu 24-Mar-16 07:04:00

Thanks guys. Yeah I feel we can't do right for doing wrong. We give drinks with natural fruit sugar and it damages teeth, we give juice with no added sugar me it's full of the so called evil asparatame chemical. She loves Robinsons, but again it has artificial sweeteners in so I feel guilty.

Onsera3 Thu 24-Mar-16 07:21:36

I've been told by paediatric dentist the artificially sweetened squash is still bad for teeth because of the acidity.

Caprisun no added sugar is water with about 15% juice and some sucralose. I give mine that as a treat but I'm sure it's still not great for teeth.

I'd do a little juice in water and keep reducing the juice percentage further and further. You could sweeten a bit with stevia or xylitol.

You really do need to get them on to plain water though or they will go thirsty at nursery or school.

Superwormissuperstrong Thu 24-Mar-16 07:25:49

I prefer to give natural fruit juice watered down with water. Yes it's full of natural sugar but will only give it as part of a meal so teeth are only 'under attack' 3 times a day. (Rarely do snacks either) If asked for a drink between meals then she gets water.
When out and about I'm ok with giving the dreaded fruit shoot but I think these might now be sugar free...

carlaboyle1984 Thu 24-Mar-16 07:50:28

Yeah I want to get her on to plain water. Going to be tricky though agh

MellowFruit Mon 16-May-16 21:24:04

We always give well diluted innocent orange juice. It tastes lovely, even I drink it diluted now smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now