Talk

Advanced search

Baby Oil - What's it for?!

(37 Posts)
phoenix72 Thu 06-Aug-15 07:59:49

Every new baby package I received when lo was born contained baby oil. Now, at 10months old I've just discovered it all sitting unopened on his shelf. We seem to have gotten this far without it, so what is it actually for? I haven't found a single use for it yet! The only thing I thought it might be for would be baby massage but the lady that taught me that said to use something else as baby oil made baby too slippery. Is there something I've missed? Something I should have been doing with all this oil?!

dementedpixie Thu 06-Aug-15 08:06:20

It's supposed to be good for cleaning up stainless steel!

purpleapple1234 Thu 06-Aug-15 08:12:50

Putting a couple of drops in the bath for new born is the only use I can think of. But that wouldn't explain the size of the bottle.

phoenix72 Thu 06-Aug-15 08:15:16

What would that achieve though purpleapple?

FurtherSupport Thu 06-Aug-15 08:15:46

I quite like it on my own skin after a bath

southeastastra Thu 06-Aug-15 08:17:02

cradle cap? i loved using oil to get that off my children grin

dementedpixie Thu 06-Aug-15 08:17:38

Eye makeup remover?

NotSoFitFlop Thu 06-Aug-15 08:19:20

It's the same with baby talc, I have that too just sat there!

LeonardoAcropolis Thu 06-Aug-15 08:20:27

It removed a beard and moustache, drawn on a six year old's face with a Rimmel liquid eyeliner.

MarieJeanne Thu 06-Aug-15 08:20:49

I use it in the kitchen for cleaning stainless steel. It works great.

RatOnnaStick Thu 06-Aug-15 08:23:52

I've never ever used baby oil. It all got chucked unopened just like yours. I can, however, confirm that the baby talc did come into its own on my 4 and 2 year old when I tried MN advice to use it on sandy skin. Its brilliant for that.

dashoflime Thu 06-Aug-15 08:27:32

If you were daft enough to use a lot of bubblebath and wash them everyday- you would probably need the oil to deal with the resulting dry skin.

SummerSevern Thu 06-Aug-15 08:27:36

It cleans hobs, slate tiles etc. You can also use it to make play dough. There's probably 101 other uses for the stuff if you google it.grin

FurtherSupport Thu 06-Aug-15 08:28:40

My hairdresser uses baby talc on the neck brush to remove all the itchy bits of hair, works much better than brush alone.

YouMakeMyDreams Thu 06-Aug-15 08:30:32

I use baby oil instead of cooking oil when I make play dough. Smells much nicer.

barleysugar Thu 06-Aug-15 08:36:07

There's nothing as good as baby oil for removing awful sticky weaning poos from bottoms!

FurtherSupport Thu 06-Aug-15 08:38:19

Maybe it was invested so this "joke" works. DS2 thinks it's hysterical

www.alldayjokes.com/2012/07/if-olive-oil-is-made-from-olives-what.html

maybebabybee Thu 06-Aug-15 08:38:25

Does nobody here use baby oil on themselves? It's ace for dry skin. You put it on wet skin in the shower and then rinse and pat dry.

avocadotoast Thu 06-Aug-15 08:40:18

My mum used to put it on her legs after she shaved them.

I don't have a bloody clue what to do with it though!

Mimigolightly Thu 06-Aug-15 08:41:34

It's great for removing the sticky residue left behind by plasters.

phoenix72 Thu 06-Aug-15 08:45:26

Of course, because when you have a shiny new baby there's nothing better than a shiny hob to match it! Hehe grin

Anjou Thu 06-Aug-15 09:10:05

Johnsons aloe baby oil smells devine! I've used it for about 20 years on my own skin. Wet in the shower as others have said, but you have to wait a while before you can put clothes on so, most often, I put it in dry skin. There is no cream or lotion - no matter how much money you spend - that makes your skin as soft and supple as baby oil.

And yes, good as an eye make up remover too (unless it's Benefit 'they're real!', which I think is designed to stay on for life).

It's not bad for removing residual wax left after you've waxed your legs. I'd never use it on a baby though. Interesting about the stainless steel, must try that.

ziggyziggy Thu 06-Aug-15 09:17:13

works great to clean sink, once you have cleaned your sink and draining board wipe it down with a little baby oil on a cloth and it comes up beautifully (also looks better for longer as it repels the water / water stains).

katienana Thu 06-Aug-15 09:17:27

It's good for shaving legs. Yours, not the baby's!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now