Talk

Advanced search

Please talk to me about swim vests for toddlers...

(14 Posts)
clr2014 Tue 09-Jun-15 14:30:58

Are they all much of a muchness or are there particular things I should be looking for? For 18mo dd to use abroad... Tia

dementedpixie Tue 09-Jun-15 15:59:33

We used arm bands and a rubber ring for ours

Magicalmrmistofeles Tue 09-Jun-15 17:19:21

We had them but didn't get on with to be honest. We used armbands and a rubber ring depending on what they wanted and just watched ten like hawks in the water.

I also read that they're not great if they can't actually swim as they don't have the head control to pull their heads back against the buoyancy if that makes any sense.

clr2014 Tue 09-Jun-15 19:48:39

Hmm... That's what I'm hearing. We didn't use with our older two but don't think we took them abroad at this age.

undoubtedly Tue 09-Jun-15 19:49:43

I think they ride up and are uncomfortable.

I just used arm bands, and when on holiday a sun suit with floaty things round the waist.

AuditAngel Tue 09-Jun-15 20:05:06

I have a belt with 4 floats at the back, (normal swim float shape) and you can remove them one by one as the child needs less assistance. My children used these during their lessons, which was why I bought it.

My kids have all had swimming lessons, but I think the sun suits with floats inserted all around the body are better.

AuditAngel Tue 09-Jun-15 20:06:54

Another thing we used in lessons was a foam "noodle" which can be tied in a knot with the child in the middle. Comfortable, but can loosen in use.

The arm bands and especially the rubber rings can cause rashes at friction points.

TheRainInTheWoods Tue 09-Jun-15 20:09:39

DS' teacher recommends a Swim Fin. It gets them in the right position quicker than the vests apparently.

swimfin.co.uk/

clr2014 Wed 10-Jun-15 13:58:22

I don't want it for learning to swim... rather for increased safety around the pool area. .. but if it just tips the child forward... no use surely?

dementedpixie Wed 10-Jun-15 14:00:19

I would imagine a swim fin would make their face go in the water

33goingon64 Wed 10-Jun-15 14:09:20

DS is 4. We used armbands and now a noodle. Have heard vests are no good as they don't teach child about their own body's buoyancy.

TheRainInTheWoods Wed 10-Jun-15 15:14:35

No, oddly it doesn't have that effect. When they start to tip forward to swim about there's no resistance from a float on their front, that's all.

I get what you mean op about having them bobbing around though.

undoubtedly Wed 10-Jun-15 15:34:01

For simple pool safety I used the floaty sun suit, as I can zip ds into it first thing and it was no bother - stayed on all day.

olivesnutsandcheese Wed 10-Jun-15 23:23:42

I just got a vest for DS 2.9, its brilliant for the safety aspect. I can let him go in the pool and he can propel himself around. I bought the one from Speedo. He is a lively thing and much like his backpack reins, the vest will prove to be a lifesaver.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now