Talk

Advanced search

From pushchairs to vacuum cleaners, we've tested hundreds of products in real homes with real families. Head over to Mumsnet Reviews to find out which ones came out on top.

calpol?yeuck

(22 Posts)
star Wed 17-Apr-02 16:29:13

Message withdrawn

star Wed 17-Apr-02 16:39:59

Message withdrawn

WideWebWitch Wed 17-Apr-02 16:50:18

Star, I agree, Calpol is disgusting and ds won't take it either unless I beg him. Mmmmm, *who's* in charge??? So usually I beg him and he takes it with the promise of something sweet to take the taste away afterwards...total waste of time that it's sugar free, I agree.

Benelyn strawberry cough mixture seems to go down ok though when it's a cough rather than a temperature. Next time the Calpol runs out I'll be looking for a nicer tasting one too.

Hope your tea was nice!

tigermoth Wed 17-Apr-02 16:59:51

Star, I hate the taste of Calpol, too. I've never thought about the cons of sugar free, but now I see what you mean.

My two love it - I have to hide the bottles away. No accounting for taste is there? They hate that pale yellow, sweet, antibiotic medicine, though. It leaves such a nasty, bitter aftertaste, so I'm not at all surprised.

Alibubbles Wed 17-Apr-02 17:25:43

My kids hated Calpol, so I used to ask the Pharmacist for Paracetemol BP, it is about a 1/4 of the price and much better tasting, it isn't so thick and of full of horrid things. Junior nurofen is also a much more pleasant tasting .but you have to be careful if your child is asthmatic as it isn't always recommended, so check first. (DD has asthma but would only take nurofen, doc said it was okay)

star Wed 17-Apr-02 17:44:08

Message withdrawn

Enid Wed 17-Apr-02 17:49:24

calpol is disgusting and my dd won't consider it in any form. I swear by junior disprol, it dissolves clear and you can 'hide' it in a strong ribena solution.

Also a friend spilt a bottle of it on our cream carpet. It is impossible to get out and the insurance company said that THEY hate it too! (Made the room STINK until we changed the carpet).

SueW Wed 17-Apr-02 19:02:13

DD is happy to take Calpol or Nurofen but loathes the bright yellow antibiotic (and that leaves some marks when you spill it). I vividly remember her first cold sore attack when she was 18mo (which went undiagnosed in spite of 3 doctor visits) when I had to give her antibiotics (which of course were a waste of time), calpol and nurofen even spaced over 24 hours. I was knackered, and she wriggled like mad every time the meds came within two feet of her.

DH was of course away, so I used to pull her arms behind her back with one hand and trap her legs with my leg, then force the syringe or spoon into her mouth. Both of us in tears. The bed got filthy over that week but there wasn't much point in changing it, nor did I have the energy.

Zantac, though, which is an adult med she's having in childsize doses, is just as bad. It tastes very strongly of peppermint and pretty much stings the mouth it's so strong.

And Infant Gaviscon is absolutely VILE! No child should be made to swallow that. It's even worse that you have to make each dose up to about 15ml which means that you have an awful lot to get into them. DD, even at 5yo which means a 30ml dose, gagged and brought it back up again - and she'll take anything if I tell her it'll make her better (even the yellow antibiotic).

MalmoMum Wed 17-Apr-02 21:15:02

Due no doubt to my liberal application of drugs when he was first teething, we actually have to keep the Calpol et al out of sight of ds otherwise he starts begging for it. He acts like it's the only treat he gets, poor lamb.

Bozza Wed 17-Apr-02 22:31:18

My DS also enjoys his medicine - he will willingly open his mouth for nurofen, calpol or amoxycillin (the antibiotic). Does the fact that I can type in the proper name just like that raise alarm bells that my 13 month old has had rather too many courses of antibiotics. In the abstract, this concerns me (as does the quantity of calpol we get through) but when it comes to the point where he is distressed and in pain I forget all that.

Bozza Wed 17-Apr-02 22:31:54

Forgot to mention - medicine has to be administered by syringe.

star Thu 18-Apr-02 10:50:38

Message withdrawn

angharad Thu 18-Apr-02 10:59:09

My 3 are definitely weird, all of them love sugar-free calpol, cough syrup etc..DS2 had rubella recently and had nasty temp, things were made worse by his attempts to get to the calpol, had to hide it upstairs! All of them keep the spoon to suck afterwards...I guess they must be sweet deprived!

Carolann Fri 17-May-02 00:04:44

My two love calpol. Apart from the one time that dd1 had a temperature of 41. Over 40 she became completely different. The calpol she would go for happily was considered poison as was the nurofen and we had to force it into her. We actually had to hold her down and force some of each into her throat within 30 mins of each other. Once the temperature came down to 40 she returned to her normal self and I have vowed NEVER to let it get that high again. We carried her to the doctors with this temperature and all he could do is prescribe suppositories, once he had checked her out for meningitis. It took 4 hours before we found a pharmacy who has these, too late as it happened. But how do you get these into a hysterical child? We now have a stock of about 52 in the cupboard. The pharmacists all gave my father the really useful information that if he’d been looking in France he would have had no problem in finding them!

Dd1 hates the banana antibiotic too, and the next one we tried. We kept at the doctors, who unfortunately are not told what these things taste like and found one she will take really happily. It’s called Distaclor (cefaclor). It tastes to her and me of raspberries although they say its strawberry flavour. It is bright pink, a selling point for Barbie fans, and contains sugar!

SofiaAmes Fri 17-May-02 00:21:32

Carolann, how are you administering the calpol? I've found that with my son (now 18 mo.) the best way to give him any liquid medicine is with a syringe. I fill it up and then let him suck on it like a lolly. When he finishes the medicine I fill it up with water a couple of times so that it becomes a memorable game. He has had quite a few high temps (with ear infections) and even though he won't take any food, he still will take his syringe of medicine (as long as I let him do it himself). It is also much less messy than spoons if you do need to force it down.

Batters Fri 17-May-02 13:37:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tillysmummy Fri 17-May-02 14:09:11

One thing some of you may be able to clear up for me. I always worry that I give dd too much Calpol and Dozol. Basically if she's in pain with her teeth I'll give her Calpol every night during the night for a week or more sometimes. I only give her one dose but it says on the back not to use for more than 3 days without consulting a doc ? Am I giving her too much ?

Marina Fri 17-May-02 14:28:40

Tillysmummy, if you are confident that her pain has a short-term "chronic" explanation, ie, teething, I should not be too worried, especially if you are not giving anything near the maximum 24 hour dosage. Those warnings are there to protect the manufacturers from the consequences of a parent/carer continuing to just give Calpol when it should have been clear that the child needed a doctor's attention.

A friend once told me that her GP told her that the amount of paracetamol in Calpol is very low, so that if an adult accidentally or in desperation overdoses the child, there will be no harm done - unlike what happens when an older person deliberately takes a paracetamol overdose.

Carolann Fri 17-May-02 17:37:57

We use syringes when we don't want the medicine tasted and spoons when we know they love the stuff and will lick the spoon clean. When we had to force the medicine into dd1 we used the syringe into the back of the throat and into the cheek, which was suggested to us. As we were holding her down she managed to eject most of the liquid back at us in a high fountain, about 30 cms/1 foot high.

Most of the doctors I talk to think calpol for teething and such things is essential and I think they'd expect you to give more than one dose. Although I sometimes think that that is their way of keeping worried mothers out of their office. I'll admit that most of the appointments I've had in the last 4 years have been emergency appointments where they have just had to reassure me that the girls are OK.

I also give hoeopathic teething powders at signs of teething and other fretfulness. It has worked wonders with both mine and seems to work in that crutial 30 mins that the calpol is not taking effect. Unfortunately no good on those nasty ear infections.

aloha Fri 17-May-02 18:09:24

My son prefers Dozol. Which I think is the best and most evocative word in the English language... sleeep....ah!

MalmoMum Wed 26-Jun-02 20:47:45

Ds spotted the calpol high up on the bedside dresser last week and brought back a set of measuring spoons from the kitchen with a very pleased look on his face. He was chanting 'Medicine'.

Also felt obliged to get him vitamin tablets as his actual diet is not as full and varied as I would like to think it is. After getting his first chewable tablet he came back asking for more. In Swedish.

SoupDragon Wed 26-Jun-02 21:21:44

DS1 loves medicine - Calpol, Boots orange flavour paracetamol syrup, Boots apple cough mixture and Medised. DS2 hates them all although he is coming round to the Boots orange paracetamol.

Medised is truly revolting! But, it makes them sleepy

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: