Talk

Advanced search

I need a hairy toy!

(18 Posts)
celandine Mon 26-Apr-04 19:50:16

Does anyone have any suggestions for a toy with hair (preferably fairly long, like real hair) which could be used as a comforter?

DS, 9 months, has used our hair as a nighttime comforter for the past month or so and hence had to sleep in our bed. Now we're rather fed up with him constantly waking to twiddle our hair so last night I gave him an old wig and he took to it wonderfully, staying in his cot for much longer than normal. Thing is, it's not the most attractive comforter. Any suggestions for hairy alternatives would be most welcome!

coppertop Mon 26-Apr-04 19:55:48

Sorry but I'm laughing at this thread title!

dogwalker Mon 26-Apr-04 19:59:46

Hairy toys indeed - yuk! I can't think of anything except perhaps one of those troll dolls that have quite long hair, but I'd be worried about the hair getting into his mouth during the night time.

suzywong Mon 26-Apr-04 20:00:06

hello celandine
I have never seen anything like that on the market, I guess there must be some health and safety issue, all the 'hairy' things, like toy lion's manes, seem to be made of that vile nylon canyfloss that they can so easily pull out and swallow.
Maybe you should get a good quality wig and sew it on to a homw-made head, two pieces of cotton stuffed with, old tights or something,
Good luck

celandine Mon 26-Apr-04 21:23:21

ROFL at your suggestion suzywong!!, though I know you're being entirely serious and thanks for thinking of it. I'm just imagining it with eyes on a big soft head and everything. I will give it some serious thought however ..

I know what people mean about the worries of fake hair being pulled out and swallowed. That's one of my concerns, as well as it getting caught around his neck or fingers cos it's such a horrid quality wig - 'vile nylon candyfloss' as suzywong says. I really need something safe which his fingers can comb through easily, won't pull out (I guess one advantage of my hair is that I'd notice if he pulled it out!) and isn't a choking hazard. We're off shopping tomorrow so I will keep my eyes peeling for something suitable. In the meantime, if anyone has any other ideas, please let me know...

iota Mon 26-Apr-04 21:24:18

what about a My little pony?

twiglett Mon 26-Apr-04 21:25:24

message withdrawn

JazzyJ Mon 26-Apr-04 21:31:22

I use hair a lot at work and when ever dd comes in with me we give her this really manky old wig to play with ....she loves it

Furball Mon 26-Apr-04 21:54:59

Thanks Twiglett!!

My DS - now 2.8 is also a 'hair twiddler' as well and I hate it, he often comes to give me a hug just to feel my hair - arrgghhh!!

A friend of mine actually suggested buying him a wig, but I never did, I just used to say in a really firm voice 'NO HAIR'. He, eventually after 2 or so years is not so bad when we are in bed, but I suppose the difference is, he only comes in for ten minutes or so in the mornings. He does play and twiddle with his own hair when tired.

Trouble is your DS' age of what to give. How about a 'Spencer bear' from M & S - he's got lovely velvety fur, maybe if your DS could stroke that, it might take his mind off your locks. Or a simple rag doll with plaited wool hair?

Really feel for you as it's soooo annoying.

Angeliz Mon 26-Apr-04 21:59:37

My dd aged 3 is a twiddler too. I can't have my hair back as she yanks it out and i when she crawls into bed with me at 6/7 she always says in a growly voice."turn around play wiv hair!!"

Am trying to think of an alternative for you celandine but can't!!

celandine Mon 26-Apr-04 22:10:25

Oh pants, looks like the wig really shouldn't be used then due to safety. It's in there with him now so maybe I should retrieve it He usually wakes before 10pm and then has to come into bed with us so he can have our hair but last night for the first time in a couple of months he slept until 2.30 all on his own because (I'm assuming) he had the wig. He's also fine if I stick my head in his cot but I'm not bending over all night like that!!

Thanks Furball, I'll take a look at the Spencer bear in M&S tomorrow and give him a feel, see what he thinks. If his tongue sets into motion sucking we might be ok

Furball Mon 26-Apr-04 22:15:08

My DS is a 'sucker' as well as a 'twiddler' as well. If it wasn't the hand in the night brushing your face by mistake it was the clicking/sucking noise - Just the thought AAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

fairyfly Mon 26-Apr-04 22:19:36

Ok, not very hairy but a little bit, Ruff Bunch Soft toys, there's loads on the internet, have a look here they have different animals. I will keep thing of hairier things though.

JazzyJ Mon 26-Apr-04 22:24:34

DD is also a twiddler and I did get to the point where I was standing in front of the mirror with a pair of scissors. It is so bloody painful, they know exactly which tiny little hairs to pick on right around your nape, don't they?
I have had to do the NO HAIR thing, but I reckon she does it just to let me know she needs attention now, ds seems to take over all the time.
What about wearing swimming hats in bed?

celandine Mon 26-Apr-04 22:33:51

Furball, sounds exactly like my DS. That noise, as you say - aaaagh! When he wakes up in our bed during the night his arm slowly rises up and over on the hunt for hair, prodding our cheeks, noses and eyes as he does.

Fairyfly, thanks have looked at these and not sure as not really hair but worth a try. I will see if there's any in the shops tomorrow and give him a feel.

JazzyJ, swimming hats in bed would equal no sleep. He HAS to have hair. Eeeugh, how did all this start? I'm sure if if I think hard enough I can blame DH

morocco Mon 26-Apr-04 22:48:48

thought I was alone in the world
bloody annoying isn't it - altho kind of cute too when not at 3am
I'm trying to replace my hair with a teddybear at the moment (iykwim!!) - limited success but www.bearfactory.co.uk do really cuddly bears that have nice soft silky fur
very tempted to go crewcut

iota Mon 26-Apr-04 22:50:19

morocco does the bear keep falling off your head?

celandine Tue 27-Apr-04 20:58:12

Just to let you know I've found my hairy toy. It's a small lion with a hairy mane, not too long and suitable from 12 months. I reckon ds should be ok with it cos he only fingers the hair, he doesn't suck it. It's worked anyway - he's sleeping with it and I have my hair back!!

Oh, and it was £2.99 from Superdrug for anyone else who needs a hair replacement, so to speak. Thanks for all other suggestions too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: