Talk

Advanced search

Kitchen Sinks - pros and cons of different types

(71 Posts)
CountessDracula Tue 16-Mar-04 16:33:23

OK so I'm boring! BUT am about to have a new kitchen and want to know what you all think so don't make huge mistake

Two options we are considering

this one or something like this

Have heard that the ceramic belfasty type sinks are a mare to keep clean and everything breaks on them - is this true? Also are these undermounted things ok, do they just get very caked with scale at the joins etc? Any other ideas welcome - bear in mind that the sink will be on it's own in a unit with the dishwasher/drainer to the left and nothing (well entrance to larder actually) on the right.

fio2 Tue 16-Mar-04 16:36:18

I had a belfast in our last house and loved it. have now got a twin bowl ceramic and that is lovely too. I didnt find them hard to clean ???? Belfasts hurt you back because you have to bend over a bit to use them, but I suppose you have a dishwasher dont you?

Mummysurfer Tue 16-Mar-04 16:40:44

Yes, I'd herad that creamic ones are a cleanmare - they break everything and they chip too.
We had a new kitchen last year and was rightly advised to get a huge one. Theory is that you only wash up stuff that won't fit into the dishwasher so mine is big enough for the oven shelves to lie in and soak.
can imagine the undermounted ones to be hard to clean around the overhang bit.
I find stainless stell a doddle to clean - just chuck bleach at it. Sparkle it with an "ecloth".

CountessDracula Tue 16-Mar-04 16:48:38

Oooh what's an ecloth?

Good point re size, can fit up to 75cm but do like having a little separate sink in the middle.

hana Tue 16-Mar-04 16:51:27

oh no! are just about to put in a double white ceramic sink! Didn't think too much about cleaning/breaking dishes when we first looked at kitchens.....but glad you think fio that it's fine. Can't wait till we have a kitchen again ( 4 weeks and counting, grrrr)
cd - I like the first sink

Mummysurfer Tue 16-Mar-04 16:56:12

can recommend this tap too
The flow is sort of aerated so it does not/cannot splash.

twiglett Tue 16-Mar-04 16:59:12

message withdrawn

CountessDracula Tue 16-Mar-04 16:59:28

OMG have just found ideal compromise

What do you all think of this?

I reckon is v different and quite funky!

Mummysurfer Tue 16-Mar-04 16:59:38

here's an ecloth - great for stainless steel appliances soon

Mummysurfer Tue 16-Mar-04 17:01:43

would also recommend a waste disposal

CountessDracula Tue 16-Mar-04 17:03:29

nonononono! Have one now and had one in last house. Both broke cost me £50 to fix the first and then it broke again. Refuse to fix this one as am doing away with soon but it STINKS if I take the plug out and is always blocking when I run water down it!

CountessDracula Tue 16-Mar-04 17:03:54

twiglett how wide is your sink?

Grommit Tue 16-Mar-04 17:10:52

CD - I had a belfast sink and wooden worktops in my last house - sink was great but wooden worksurfaces around the sink were a nightmare and there was no drainer...This time I am going for a ceramic sink with draining board
Where are you buying your kitchen from ?

fio2 Tue 16-Mar-04 17:12:29

go for ceramic its lovely

CountessDracula Tue 16-Mar-04 17:12:29

www.unpaintedkitchens.co.uk

Total bargain for the type of kitchen, come constructed (ie not flat packed) but they don't measure up or fit.

We are having granite worktops so shouldn't have probs with water. Love the look of wood but I know it's not practical

CountessDracula Tue 16-Mar-04 17:13:11

grommit are you having a new kitchen too or just sink?

fio2 Tue 16-Mar-04 17:17:36

shaker or regency? they are both very nice btw

CountessDracula Tue 16-Mar-04 17:18:35

Shaker, they have a new one called Edwardian which we ought to have as our house is, but it's too fancy for my taste!

suedonim Tue 16-Mar-04 17:18:50

We once had a Belfast sink and indeed it was a 'mare. It was a rented house and we discovered tons of green slime in the crevice underneath - yuk, yuk, yuk. Plus the backache from bending down. I've also had a waste disposal unit. Never again.

fio2 Tue 16-Mar-04 17:21:47

so do you have to paint them yourselves? only flicked through the site sorry! if so what colour are you having?

CountessDracula Tue 16-Mar-04 17:22:33

You do fio, but we are having wood looking melamine interiors, so just the cupboards and the endy bits etc. Painters will do it.

fio2 Tue 16-Mar-04 17:23:36

sooo what colour?

Grommit Tue 16-Mar-04 17:37:20

CD - we are having a new kitchen - not decided which one yet - saw really lovely one in MFI (Schrieber) but v. expensive

CountessDracula Tue 16-Mar-04 17:38:56

Undecided.

Are having darkish 200 year old oak board flooring and matte black granite worktops, so prob white?

CountessDracula Tue 16-Mar-04 17:39:18

Oooh let's see the link Grommit!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: