Talk

Advanced search

From pushchairs to vacuum cleaners, we've tested hundreds of products in real homes with real families. Head over to Mumsnet Reviews to find out which ones came out on top.

New computer only allows particular ISP.......anyone know why ???

(15 Posts)
nutcracker Sun 22-Feb-04 12:35:59

My mom bought a new computer about 2 months ago and has had nothing but trouble with it since.
I was with her when she bought it and all they said was that it was the cheapest, explained it's capibilities and that was it (they were actually very unhelpful). When it was delivered we tryed to install a BT internet disc on it as thats who she wanted as her ISP, but it wouldn't let us. We eventually found out that the modem on the computer will only accept Supanet as the isp.
I am sure that this is not right, or that we should of at least been informed of this before we bought it. If they had told us that we wouldn't of had it.
I've been through her paperwork and there definatly wasn't anything telling us about it. The only leaflet that explains it came in the box with the computer. They've even had the cheek to send her a letter congratulating her on CHOOSING supanet.
Has anyone else had this problem ????? Do you think we should of been informed before we bought it ???

nutcracker Sun 22-Feb-04 12:49:05

We are planning on going into the shop tommorow so really need to know if i am in the right or not

SoupDragon Sun 22-Feb-04 12:54:29

Yes, you should have been informed before you bought the computer. I guess the only problem is getting them to admit that they didn't tell you.

lou33 Sun 22-Feb-04 12:57:53

Nutty, have you tried calling the BT helpline? They should be able to walk you through it to get it up and running. A modem shouldn't stop you changing your isp, it's just a connection port. It just needs a change of software (I think!).

nutcracker Sun 22-Feb-04 12:58:25

Thank you Soupy. I didn't think it was right. My brother reckons we may be able to get round it by installing a new modem, but why should she ??
Not sure how we can prove that they didn't tell us though. It's definatly not in the paperwork that they gave us when she payed.
I've been spoiling for an argument with the bloke in the shop for ages now. When we first went in, my mom siad to him "whats the difference between the two computers in the window ". His reply "the price".

nutcracker Sun 22-Feb-04 12:59:26

Lou - It says in the leaflet, that you cannot use ANY other ISP. We tried ringing BT and they told us it is correct.

SoupDragon Sun 22-Feb-04 13:01:50

here's a forum for you, Nutty! You are not alone...

nutcracker Sun 22-Feb-04 13:07:31

Oooh thanks Soupy. I will get my borther to read it as it's a bit technical for me. Looks like there may be a way around it though.
If i am can get the shop to admit that they should of told us, then i'm going to ask for a new modem, free of charge.

nutcracker Sun 22-Feb-04 13:07:50

Oooh thanks Soupy. I will get my borther to read it as it's a bit technical for me. Looks like there may be a way around it though.
If i am can get the shop to admit that they should of told us, then i'm going to ask for a new modem, free of charge.

twiglett Sun 22-Feb-04 13:08:49

message withdrawn

SoupDragon Sun 22-Feb-04 13:10:05

From another site:
1. Go to the Conexant web site, go to the Driver Support section, and download the driver file for an HSF modem (you'll see what I mean when you get there). Save the file to disc, then unzip it to a place you can find it later.
2. Right click the My Computer icon on your desktop, select Properties, select Hardware, click the Device Manager button.
3. Find the modem in the listing, right click the entry, and select uninstall. Confirm the action in the resulting box.
4. Reboot your PC.
5. On reboot, the PC finds the 'new' hardware, and asks if you want to instal it - say yes, and tell the Wizard where to find the drivers (where you unzipped them to earlier).
6. That's it. The modem now shows as a Generic, as opposed to saying it's a CNXT Vx PCI.

Just install your chosen ISP!

lou33 Sun 22-Feb-04 13:10:46

What about getting a new modem card then?

SoupDragon Sun 22-Feb-04 13:11:25

\link{http://www.conexant.com/support/md_driverassistance.html\Conexant modem driver support)

SoupDragon Sun 22-Feb-04 13:11:55

Or even Conexant modem driver support

nutcracker Sun 22-Feb-04 15:12:25

Well thanks for all of your help. I'm going to go in to the shop and ask them why we wern't told, and what they are going to do about it. Apparently Microsoft got sued for trying to do the same thing.
I will get my brother to try a couple of the things mentioned, daren't do it myself as i wouldn't have a clue what i'm doing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: