Talk

Advanced search

HELP needed with fondue burner

(24 Posts)
ja9 Sat 03-Jun-06 13:49:17

I am using a fondue set for the first time tonight. It is brand new but very old.

I don't know how to use the burner. It has cotton wool type stuff inside it and it doesnt seem to open up which makes me think the wool stuff should stay there. I've tried just putting a lighter against it but it's not lighting. Am i supposed to pour something on it, or is it not lighting beacuse it's so old, or am i doing the wrong thing altogether?

Hope someone can shed some light...

zippitippitoes Sat 03-Jun-06 13:51:05

Perhaps it's a spirit burner?

ja9 Sat 03-Jun-06 13:55:23

ztt - what do i do with it then?

hmmmmm

ok, next question..

where do you buy fondue fuel?

zippitippitoes Sat 03-Jun-06 13:56:07

is the woolly thing a wick?

does it have a screw to wind it up and down with?

Rhubarb Sat 03-Jun-06 13:58:34

Can I be really thick and ask something? Is fondue really just melted cheese?

ja9 Sat 03-Jun-06 14:01:26

no screw.

it looks very like this one top right

so i'm thinking i pour something into it over the woolly stuff and then light it?

so what do i pour over it and where do i buy it?

ja9 Sat 03-Jun-06 14:03:09

rhubarb i think cheese fondues have oil and wine in them amongst other things? though not sure as i've never made.

I'm doing a choc one which is just choc, cream and liquer. it's the novelty factor i'm after tho'!

SaintGeorge Sat 03-Jun-06 14:03:34

Melted cheese and alcohol.

Or chocolate yummmmmmmm

Rhubarb Sat 03-Jun-06 14:04:01

I don't think it can be, that gadget on the link looks far too complex for just melting cheese - wait till I get Custy for lying to me!

Rhubarb Sat 03-Jun-06 14:05:00

x posts! Is it really just for bloody cheese then? Can you not melt it using a pan? As for cheese and alchol! I'm feeling queasy again!

SaintGeorge Sat 03-Jun-06 14:05:24

Burners designed for alcohol fuel require denatured or methyl alcohol, using only 2 to 3 ounces in the burner, which provides from 1 to 1-1/2 hours of clean-burning heat. Within the burner there is non-flamable gauze-like padding known as glass wool that absorbs the alcohol so it is dispersed and not exposed as an open fluid that can be ignited all at once. Alcohol can be very fluid so it is important to keep the burner from being tipped and spilling any of the solution that may pool in the burner, especially if the alcohol is ignited.

Rhubarb Sat 03-Jun-06 14:05:35

But I admire SGs post, very well put.

Rhubarb Sat 03-Jun-06 14:06:00

Just a shame it's not in English really.

SaintGeorge Sat 03-Jun-06 14:06:41

But it's fun Rhuby.

Lots of lovely things to dip in hot cheese on long sharp forks.

Or maybe it is the sharp fork bit I enjoy?

SaintGeorge Sat 03-Jun-06 14:07:21

Very well cut and pasted don't you think?

I'm dead good at that.

ja9 Sat 03-Jun-06 14:07:54

thank you saint george. very helpful.

so, where do i buy this alcohol then? b&q?

Rhubarb Sat 03-Jun-06 14:07:58

sharp forks? <sweat> How well constructed your posts are SG and you are so right! I shall buy one straight away!

SaintGeorge Sat 03-Jun-06 14:10:10

B & Q or any hardware store should do it ja9.

<<reaches over and snips a bit of Rhuby's hair - ya never know when it might come in handy>>

mwahahahahahaha

Rhubarb Sat 03-Jun-06 14:10:45

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

ja9 Sat 03-Jun-06 14:15:47

Thanks!

SG & Rhuby, i'll leave you to it.............

CountessDracula Sat 03-Jun-06 14:16:07

Go and get a new burner that takes solid gel fuel, so much easier

BTW if you have never done a cheese fondue before, beware, you mustn't drink anything but white wine/kirsch (or other white spirits) or hot tea with it or the cheese will solidify into a ball in your stomach causing hideous stomach pains all night!

Rhubarb Sat 03-Jun-06 14:18:30

CD, that sounds gross!

CountessDracula Sat 03-Jun-06 14:19:22

yes I believe it is

The grossest thing is that the bit of burned on cheese at the bottom of the pan which is DIVINE and crusty and cheesy is known as the granny#'s knickers

Rhubarb Sat 03-Jun-06 14:21:18

Ralf!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: