Talk

Advanced search

Quick! Opinions please! (also a q. for anyone who's bought a bed from argos)

(19 Posts)
lunavix Wed 31-May-06 21:07:41

Would you put a two year old in this bed? It's only 60cm high....

Also, argos do it in three choices of mattress - cheapest is 'sprung' middle is 'firm' dearest is 'comfort' has anyone bought one and had any comments? Again, it's for a two year old...

psychomum5 Wed 31-May-06 21:09:40

I would, but i would put a good bed rail on the side too, as well as pad the floor fully for any bumps out during the first few nights.

there are some good extendable bad rails about if you look....

Securlurking Wed 31-May-06 21:10:35

Sorry, no, I would feel it was too high for dd to get out off in teh night when she was half asleep, also would worry it is too high if she rolled out.

For the record though I went with the cheap mattress to be able to throw it away without regret at 4/5 ish when the threat of wet nights was over and I felt I could safly buy the expensive one.

But that's just my opinion

lunavix Wed 31-May-06 21:12:50

Oh I forgot to add, we'd be usign a bedrail one side, and a wall the other, plus some biggish cushions at the bottom just in case.....

Securlurking Wed 31-May-06 21:17:35

that would help I think - but I still wouldn't for dd (she climbs too much as it is)

ATEOTD only you know your two year old - does the fact that your are asking mean you are not sure or that you are asking for confirmation of the decision you have made? (said in the nicest possible non-confrontational or offensive way)

lunavix Wed 31-May-06 21:29:50

It means I really don't know lol

I have no idea what he will be like in a bed - we're putting him in a normal single for the first time in two weeks, with bed rails, whilst on holiday. It might not work out at all, but we need new furniture for him now as his is being passed down the line would like to get him settled in a bed before new baby is born, as even though it won't be going straight into his cot we don't want him even associating it really.

He's only just two, he's good climber as well etc etc but he's a fantastic sleeper. In all honesty 60cm doesn't seem to high to me until I noticed the warning on it. Especially as other beds such as divans are usually this high (granted you probably wouldn't stick a two year old in a nice divan!)

Will probably have to consider it after the holiday, just cannot fight a normal heighted bed we like at all.

psychomum5 Wed 31-May-06 21:32:26

Is he still in a cot right now? is so have you thouht about just taking the side off few a few nights to see how is does with that before you take the actual plunge of a reall bed?

psychomum5 Wed 31-May-06 21:33:33

and sorry about my spelling too. on pain meds and am floating a bit

lunavix Wed 31-May-06 21:35:44

The side won't come off! Short of actually getting a saw and removing some bars....

This is what buying off the internet does

Securlurking Wed 31-May-06 21:35:55

hmm yes, I see what you are up against!

My reasoning is that I have a divan of that height and dd has trouble getting into it (she has to claw her way up holding on to covers etc) and I wouldn't like to see her getting out during the night. Having said that all beds seem to be quite high ATM (trendy I guess?)

DS has an extending childs bed from IKEA (metal bedstead) which is quite low (20/30 cms ish) however I don't particularly like it and I got it simply as a cheap and easy option to fill a need because I couldn't find something I liked.

lunavix Wed 31-May-06 21:36:45

Yes I've been eyeing those up for the same reason Really really can't stand it though, plus you have to buy a seperate mattress anyways...

Securlurking Wed 31-May-06 21:41:10

yes but the mattress you buy isn't that much either - it is still cheaper than the one you are looking at - if you could stand it for around 3 years then ds would be about big enough for just about any bed you liked and so you could have the pick of any bed out there

(short term pain long term gain theory LOL!)

WelshBoris Wed 31-May-06 21:42:53

Ive been looking for a bed for DD and have seen this one in kiddicare

Its quite cheap comes with mattress bedding and free delivery

herswillbepink

Securlurking Wed 31-May-06 21:42:57

LOL, can you tell I have been through this argument with myself before. DS is coming up to 5 now (well in about 8 months ) and I am already looking at all the available bed and matress options!

WelshBoris Wed 31-May-06 22:00:03

What do you think of that one secur?

Securlurking Wed 31-May-06 23:05:29

Sorry WB, didn't mean to ignore you!

I like it - it is a really good deal too isn't it?

I like the gaurds as they are not to large so you can add another if you feel the need and it is not too much for when they are older.

approved

BadHair Wed 31-May-06 23:49:42

I would, with a bed guard and cushions like you suggest. It's not much higher than a standard bed, TBH.
Dses both have the cheapest sprung mattresses on their argos beds, and although they're too soft for my liking, dh loves them. He reckons they're comfier than our orthopaedic mattress, but he's always liked spongy beds whereas I prefer something just short of rock-hard. Dses have no complaints, but then again I've never actually asked them about it.

fez Thu 01-Jun-06 12:59:07

Securlurking, we have exactly the same one for ds. he went into it when he was 3. he's not really tall. we just put a bed guard on it to start with. he's fallen off it twice in the last year (without the bed guard) but we just picked him up without him even waking up and no bruises at all the next morning. hth.

fez Thu 01-Jun-06 12:59:47

oh, should add that he loves it and especially like the drawers where he can hide his toys!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: