Talk

Advanced search

HELP what kitchen knife would you recommend

(10 Posts)
breadandroses Wed 31-May-06 20:25:40

I need a knife for Dh's birthday and I don't know which to go for. Any recommendations appreciated.

Teaandcake Wed 31-May-06 22:44:10

I've got a set of German J.A. Henckels professional 's' (so it says on them) knives. Had them for about 7 years now and have been fantastic.

Paid a fortune for them at the time but the intention was not to have to buy any kitchen knives ever again.

Got them in Selfridges but have also seen them in a few good independent kitchen shops. Hope this helps.

jennifersofia Thu 01-Jun-06 00:28:54

I personally like Henkels or Sabatier - depends on what you are looking for. See how it feels in your hand, how it is weighted and make sure that it is one piece of steel (eg the steel of the blade is also part of the handle, not 2 bits welded together - sorry forgotten technical term for this). Definitely worth investing in a good knife - it will last and give pleasure for years.

Alipiggie Thu 01-Jun-06 00:52:22

Global - Japanese they're the most amazing knives and I find them far superior to Sabatier and I've got both.

suzywong Thu 01-Jun-06 00:54:27

Abso-bloody-lutely
Globals, you need a solid shaft and head all in one

Although I am extraodinarily fond of my sabatier filletting knife

spacedonkey Thu 01-Jun-06 00:55:10

oh yes global - men love em

twinsetandpearls Thu 01-Jun-06 12:46:51

We have sabatier ones that were a wedding present - and they have carried on going stong long after the decree absolute!

Ours were from Selfridges and we bought them seperately although I recently bought a set of sabatier knives from Debenhams as a gift for someone and they were reduced to £75 for a set of six I think and they are great.

twinsetandpearls Thu 01-Jun-06 12:47:38

But I could see the all in one knives appealing to men there is something inherently masculine about them!

2labs Thu 01-Jun-06 13:55:23

My best one says Zwilling JA Henckels on it - dh got it for me on the advice of a friend who's a posh chef. Think it was pretty expensive but it makes all my other knives seem crap.

Tried some of those ones that you're supposed never to need to sharpen but after a few years... blunt.

Kelly1978 Thu 01-Jun-06 14:02:01

another vote for global. They are actually only made by workers with a samaurai sword history. Do users find they need sharpening a lot though? Mine are deadly when sharpened, but it has to be regular.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: