Talk

Advanced search

What do you think of your condensing / combi boiler????

(14 Posts)
Ellaroo Tue 30-May-06 22:06:08

We need a new boiler and can't decide whether to go for a condensing or a combi boiler. I've had a combi before in our old house and loved it, apart from only being able to use one hot tap at a time etc. However, am being advised that condensing would be better for our new house, but am worried. Have heard tales of plumes of steam shooting out from them (this would vent onto our neighbours window about 8ft away - would this cause a problem for them?) and them being very noisy. Does anyone have any opinions? TIA x

brimfull Tue 30-May-06 22:12:24

we had one put in last yr.It is noisier than the combi but you get used to it.The steam coming out in plumes could probably be directed straight up if you needed it to.
Is there no steam from a combi then? I can't remember.

Ellaroo Tue 30-May-06 22:14:14

What do you mean by noisier ggirl? - noisier all the time - in the house or outside????

I seem to remember steam showing from the combi in very cold weather whilst running hot water, but not at any other time.

JanH Tue 30-May-06 22:18:05

All boilers have to be condensing now unless there is a practical reason not to fit one. There are condensing combis.

JanH Tue 30-May-06 22:20:00

The last time we had a BGas bloke in (our Vaillant combi is 22 years old and still limping along) he said condensers are OK as long as you get a good make, eg Worcester-Bosch or Vaillant (not Ideal or other cheap UK brands)

brimfull Tue 30-May-06 22:20:04

well when we're lying in bed I can hear a motor running.It's only when it's pumping out the heat.

Ellaroo Tue 30-May-06 22:22:09

thanks JanH - that's good to know - I was wondering whether worcester-bosch was worth the extra money, but obviously it is.

sorry to bombard you with questions ggirl...but how far is your boiler from your bed????

brimfull Tue 30-May-06 22:26:45

well the boiler is actually downstairs on the other side of house,but the motor sounds like it's upstairs in the loft.I think the sound travels up as it's a crappy 80's house.

Ellaroo Tue 30-May-06 22:29:30

Am sure your house is lovely...am now a little worried though that we are on the crest of installing a jet engine - am sure your acoustics cannot be that bad!

anchovies Tue 30-May-06 22:31:33

We have a fairly new condensing combi (as janh says all new boilers are condensing now, it's whether it is a conventional or combi boiler) I really like it, It's an Ideal one and we've had it a couple of years with no probs. We've only got a small house though, not sure I'd fancy one in a big house with rubbish water pressure.

sugarfree Tue 30-May-06 22:31:45

I can hear mine if i'm in the bedroom with the airing cupboard,but only when the heating kicks in or a hot tap is switched on.
Doesn't disturb ds3 who sleeps in there.

Ellaroo Tue 30-May-06 22:41:14

So are normal condensing boiler and combi condensing boilers both equally noisy and both do plumes of steam then? (I hadn't realised that combi's were now condensing too). If this is the case the choice can come down to other factors like space/irritation of suddenly water going cold when in the shower!

Ellaroo Wed 31-May-06 09:09:58

bump!

lisayb Wed 31-May-06 10:14:54

A good website is www.boilers.org.uk
Lets you know the efficiency rating etc, and some with links to manufacturers for prices etc. We're about to get a new one and will prob go for a combi condenser as so much more efficient

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: