Talk

Advanced search

From pushchairs to vacuum cleaners, we've tested hundreds of products in real homes with real families. Head over to Mumsnet Reviews to find out which ones came out on top.

Tell me about decking..

(14 Posts)
FrayedKnot Tue 30-May-06 21:51:42

Will it rot / go slimy / green / slippery etc etc or will it look fab for years?

I have to persuade DH.

It is important about the slipperyness though because we park our cars at the back of the house and have to cross the (possibly decked) area come wind, rain or shine.

NotActuallyAMum Tue 30-May-06 22:16:52

Haven't got any but would imagine it would eventually rot, as anything wooden does, but I'd say it would last a lot of years as long as you treat it

As for slipperyness, I don't think this would be a problem because it has grooves in it

Hope someone comes along who knows more than me because I'm just guessing

brimfull Tue 30-May-06 22:17:37

haven't got it ,wish I did ,but I'm sure you can get anti slip decking.

sugarfree Tue 30-May-06 22:20:41

We had some done last year.
It's treated to be rot proof for something like 20 years,I believe(we'll see)They do reccommend you oil it,like wooden garden furniture,but we haven't yet.Sounds like a bitch of job to me.It's not slippery because of the grooves,but you do have to be wary if it's icy.
Oh,and don't let kids do skateboard tricks on it,it causes gouges in the wood,which leads to splinters.

LadyCodofCOdford Tue 30-May-06 22:21:12

red cedar
good

madrose Tue 30-May-06 22:21:54

sorry to hijack, Sugarfree, been looking at decking all evening - bit shocked re prices - if you don;t mind what did you pay for yours?

sallystrawberry Tue 30-May-06 22:22:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hulababy Tue 30-May-06 22:25:05

We are having decking laid next week. I prefer the look of it to paving slabs or a patio.

We had two quotes. First one was £1300. Second one was around £650. We are having a simple rectangle approx 16 feet by 9 feet, with no steps or ballistrades. We are going with the cheaper quote. It is a builder recommended to us, a self employed guy on his own. He has done good work for a friend of ours. Definitely look around before choosing a quote.

FrayedKnot Tue 30-May-06 22:25:45

I don;t have a quote yet. The guy who did our fence said he could do it.

Is it a choice between soft / hard wood?

What are the options? I don;t even know that much.

I just think it would look good.

sugarfree Tue 30-May-06 22:26:53

Can't remember exactly,but £2000 rings a bell.My garden is maybe 25' square,the decking is about 3.5' deep on two sides and then we've got an 8' deep bit on the third side for a patio.That was for all the decking and a friend of Dh's did it for us at mate's rates.No pillars or railings or fancy bits.
HTH.

madrose Tue 30-May-06 22:47:23

thank you, better start saving then. Want decking to go over two knackered patios, think it looks nice, will be better for DD and also want to deck part of the garden that the local cats use as a toilet (don't have many footballs!). Plan on doing most ourselves well me really, but when I start things DH takes over, mainly cos he doesn't want me to tell people that I did it,

kbaby Wed 31-May-06 05:05:20

We had it in our old house and have it here also.

It is rot proof and does just need oiling, however my dad just did this with his and its now green and gone a washed out silver colour. Weve always stained ours and havent had this problem. They arent slippery unless you dont treat them and mold grows on them.

Ours have never cost as much as the other threads. DH has done it himself as apparently they are easy to do. DH cant even gloss so decking must be very easy!!!
14 ft + 12 ft prob cost us about £300.00 and handrails cost £250.00. If you can put the decking low down to save on handrails then I suggest that as they bump the price up.
hth

hulababy Wed 31-May-06 18:23:48

All the wood is now in our garden, pre-treated, ready for the descking to be laid next Monday

BettySpaghetti Wed 31-May-06 18:42:56

We've got a decked area in the garden thats been there for about 3 years. I noticed this year it was quite slippy in places ( when DS did the splits twice in as many seconds ) but part of it does have overhanging trees which doesn't help.

DP used a pressure washer on it which took off any dirt/slime and its fine now.

A good tip is to lay it diagonally across your route (if you are going to be taking the same path to your car each time) - you'll get more grip that way.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: