Talk

Advanced search

From pushchairs to vacuum cleaners, we've tested hundreds of products in real homes with real families. Head over to Mumsnet Reviews to find out which ones came out on top.

Tumble Dryers!

(13 Posts)
BudaBabe Tue 30-May-06 11:54:22

Have a combi washer/dryer and normally hardly use the dryer. We have a room in the basement where the central heating system is and the washing dries in there no probs WHEN HEATING IS ON. Of course now that it is supposedly summer the heating is off. I usually dry clothes outside in summer (am very sad and love looking ay my wshing blowing merrily in the breeze!).

But - the weather here is lousy and I am really struggling to get stuff dry but the dryer is taking for ever. Have had stuff in for 3 hours and it's still not dry!!!

Is it just MY washer/dryer or do I need to invest in a "proper" dryer?? And if so any recommendations please???

louismummy Tue 30-May-06 12:03:32

3 hours seems a long time, unless its on the low energy option? also depends on how much you've put in there and what spin is your machine???

Jessajam Tue 30-May-06 12:08:43

shove a dry towel in with the load...speeds things up...

Ledodgyherring Tue 30-May-06 12:11:12

We have a combi too and there's no point putting anything in there apart from smalls and a few odd items. We've realised we need to invest in a proper dryer.

azroc Tue 30-May-06 12:14:51

In my experience, washer-driers are useless at drying - you'd be better off holding up the washing and blowing on it

Gillian76 Tue 30-May-06 12:16:58

Had a very bad couple of years with a washer dryer. It was useless in all respects apart from having an extra large load so I could pile it in and then hang it out!

We now have a condensor dryer which is the biz as fas as I'm concerned

YellowFeathers Tue 30-May-06 12:23:44

I love my tumble dryer. Its one of the best things we've ever bought.
We were going to buy a washer/dryer but the guy in the shop said they had a bigger risk of something going wrong with them, hence the purchase of the tumble dryer.

I hate drying my clothes outside. Yes they smell lovely when they dry but they also stiff and need ironing.
I think I iron once a season now

BudaBabe Tue 30-May-06 12:26:44

OK you've convinced me! Just need to convince DH now!

But I will still dry clothes outside! I don't do the ironing so that's OK!

So - any models better than others???

Gillian76 Tue 30-May-06 12:28:23

We have had our Indesit condensor dryer for 3 years. So far so good...

YellowFeathers Tue 30-May-06 12:29:04

We bought Zanussi condenser. Had it nearly 3 years now.

KTeePee Tue 30-May-06 12:46:36

I have a stand-alone dryer and said much as you did in your op last night.... so a "proper" dryer can be just as bad. I am tempted to bring my clothes horse up from the cellar even if it does mean loads of washing all over the kitchen - but the weather seems to picking up today so fingers crossed I will get some dry outside.

My drier is a Creda btw so avoid that make! It broke down a couple of months ago but dh managed to fix it . I had been planning to buy a better model!

Laura032004 Tue 30-May-06 13:40:47

We have a fantastic Zanussi condenser tumble drier. Love it to bits

Gingerbear Tue 30-May-06 13:45:34

We have recently replaced our elderly Hoover Condenser dryer with a Bosch vented. Didn't need to pay for whistles and bows - it does the job well and is B rated (unusual for tumble d's)
Model No. WTA4409GB £270 last January. Did well in Which? tests.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: