Talk

Advanced search

From pushchairs to vacuum cleaners, we've tested hundreds of products in real homes with real families. Head over to Mumsnet Reviews to find out which ones came out on top.

A list of cars that have the isofix points on?

(20 Posts)
Xena Tue 30-May-06 11:08:36

I can't get it off britax's website my computer won't open it. Is there somewhere else that has the list of all cars that have the isofix points?

BudaBabe Tue 30-May-06 11:25:13

Have you tried searching under "isofix" - I think that worked for me.

FWIW my VW Golf has them as does DH's Volvo!

pegasus Tue 30-May-06 11:43:22

Our Renault does too!

Xena Tue 30-May-06 11:57:31

tried searching but it just comes up with sellers of the car seat

LIZS Tue 30-May-06 12:10:47

Most new cars have them as an option these days but it might vary by spec so doubt there is a definitive comprehensive list. Britax and Maxi Cosi will do a fit find on a particular seat/car.

hulababy Tue 30-May-06 21:43:32

VW and Audi do them as standard. My Smart ForFour has it as a no cost option. It ought to be standard on all new cars IMO!

RedZuleika Tue 30-May-06 21:47:28

I thought it was standard after about 2003...?

You can find them quite easily if you grope down the back of the seats. Along with hairy sweets and a lost 2p, probably...

Laura032004 Wed 31-May-06 08:00:30

My sisters 2yr old Toyota Yaris has them, and my three yr old Renault Laguna has them. Think most newish Renaults do. My Dad's Landrover Discovery (about 3yo I think) also has them.

If you are looking for a new car on this basis, bear in mind where the points are. Most cars have them in the fold between seat back and cushion. Not our Laguna - we actually had to have the seat cushion cut open to be able to reach them. Not a great design idea IMO. We've only had one seat cut, and it means we're restricted with regards to swapping the seat to different places in the car.

tissy Wed 31-May-06 08:46:13

Bear in mind that Isofix isn't necessarily safer!

I searched for an Isofix car seat for dd(4), and the only one I could find was the Jane Indy Plus. We duly bought it and fitted it in dh's car, and have just readf the Which? report that says it is no better than other seats in its class, as it doesn't have a third fixing point. Important to prevent rotation of the seat in an accident, apparently!

Personally, I would go for a car with the highest Euro NCAP rating possible, and then get the best car seat possible for that car.

FWIW, Dh's 2005 Golf is EuroNCAP 5* rated and has Isofix fittings.

LIZS Wed 31-May-06 08:47:37

ooh Tissy is the new Which ? report out now.

tissy Wed 31-May-06 08:49:04

The current Issue of which reviews a few car seats, it just happens that both of our seats are in the report. Our non-Isofix Maxi Cosi Rodi comes out MUCH higher than our Isofix Jane seat!

LIZS Wed 31-May-06 08:53:47

Really, that is interesting. We've been waiting for this June's report before deciding what to do for dd. tbh have had my doubts about the Indy as only the seat base is secured by Isofix, and body by seat belt, so wondered if the back might detach in a crash. We have a Rodi for ds and Halfords have one for 49.99 atm.

tissy Wed 31-May-06 08:57:08

The Rodi is one of the best in this group. IIRC, the Concord Lift Pro is marginally better(but only by 1 or 2 points).

Xena Wed 31-May-06 12:17:03

It won't be the reason why we a particular car but it will have bearing on it we have 4 DC's 3 of which are in car seats. We already have a 7 seater but looking for a smaller car for me to drive term time, but good enough for DH to drive when he is working iyswim. Where can I find out a cars Euro NCAP rating?

tissy Wed 31-May-06 12:20:03

here

Xena Wed 31-May-06 15:26:10

Thanks tissy. Interesting reading although it makes me not want to own a car.

BearintheBigBlueHouse Wed 31-May-06 15:38:27

I can't get why a high back booster with ISOFIX can score much lower than one without - we were about to get an Indy Plus for DS. The Britax Duo Plus doesn't have a third fixing point does it? we did have one with a top tether when it first came out, but they seem to have phased that out, or is it just that not many cars have a fixing point for the tether.

I recall from when I was getting a booster for DD that the Concord Lift Pro is virtually impossible to get hold of.

Am unsure what to do now - DS is rapidly growing out of his Duo and needs a booster......

LIZS Wed 31-May-06 15:47:04

Halfords have the Concord Lift Pro online, as do Kiddicare et al, so it has become more readily available. I'm waiting for the full Which ? survey before deciding what to do for dd.

hulababy Thu 01-Jun-06 17:28:39

I assume the Isofix for the first two stages are still better than non-isofix?

The reason I prefer Isofix and feel that they are generally safer is that there is no human error in fitting possible. The fit in seconds and once they are fit they are in there and secure.

The biggest factor in car seat safety is to do with how people fit their seat. It doesn't matter how good a car or seat is - if it isn't fitted correctly then it won't be safe in an accident. Isofix, as far as I am aware, is the only car seat where the fitting issue is minimised to such an extent.

tissy Thu 01-Jun-06 17:36:32

yes, for first two stages, Isofix seats are top of the tables

Jane seat scored only 48 points in the stage 3 category; Concord, Maxi Cosi Rodi and Britax Evolva all above 70 points. Jane was let down in front-impact test compared with the others

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: