Talk

Advanced search

Help! Which hair straighteners do I need?

(18 Posts)
TinyGang Mon 29-May-06 11:16:55

Ok - I think I need some hair straighteners.

The bizarre thing is, my hair is alredy dead straight, so I've never even considered getting some. But I had my hair cut into a lovely layered bob on Saturday - 'funky' the hairdresser called it. I noticed once she'd blow dried it, to my surprise she went over the ends some GHD's and it became all silky smooth and more defined.

Now when I tried to do it yesterday, no straighteners, it looked ok-ish, but well, a bit mumsy, not all cool and modern.

I assume I need something here - ghd's are so dear - and there are a million types to choose from. Bearing in mind my hair is already straight, what on earth am I looking for here? I'm quite confused. I looked in the archives but am still quite flummoxed. HELP!

JILS Mon 29-May-06 11:26:09

I love my GHD's. They are a bit expensive (about £90 when I bought mine 2 years ago.) I know there are loads of ceramic straighteners on the market now, so maybe there are cheaper ones which are just as good. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Hollyboo Mon 29-May-06 11:33:39

I've had my GHD for years as well. They are worth the investment.

TinyGang Mon 29-May-06 11:33:50

Thanks Jils - I keep reading that ghd's are worth the money..but ouch! £90

I always thought straighteners were just for people wanting to straighten curly hair - I didn't realise even people like me could get a different look with them. Dur..I'm always the last to work these things out!

TinyGang Mon 29-May-06 11:34:51

Why are they so much better though? Are the plates different to everyone elses?

bramblina Mon 29-May-06 11:36:54

I swear by my ghd's. Yes expensive but worth it. You can get plated ceramics now, but there is a difference. Solid ceramic will give off (not sure of correct terminology but I know what I mean) negative ions, whereas other metals will give off positive ions. Negative ions smooth the hair and rid it of any static, positive will have the opposite effect. This includes the plated ones, the ceramic is very thin and really bears little significance IMO. I really think they're worth it. When mine were about 2 years old I had them hanging on the bedroom doorhandle, dh walked in, stood on the cable and they snapped. My hairdresser gave me a reply paid envolope and I sent them back with a covering letter, asking if they could repair them and I would pay (bear in mind they were 2y old) and within 5 days I had a brand new pair free of charge and a letter full of apologies waiting for me (actually it was when I came home from hosp after giving birth which was quite nice!). My friend's snapped and were repaired free of charge, also a few yrs old. So, well worth it IME.

TinyGang Mon 29-May-06 11:48:13

Ah I see - thanks bramblina.

That's excellent customer service!

Twinkie1 Mon 29-May-06 12:28:33

Am on my thrid pair - thought would resist the expense of GHDs but Igave up and bought some as the first 2 pairs never made my hair look like my friends who had them - hers was always that bit shinier and straighter - BITCH!!!!

bramblina Mon 29-May-06 12:40:10

See, they are worth it!

TinyGang Mon 29-May-06 12:52:40

Yeeess.. I'll hve to keep the price away from dh! I hope I can use them too. I've never even tried straighteners before

gothicmama Mon 29-May-06 12:54:39

so where do I buy ghd's from

JILS Mon 29-May-06 13:05:48

Some hairdressing salons sell them. I bought mine online. Do a search for GHD and see what comes up. Pricey, but well worth the money! Wouldn't be without them. My must-have item for a desert island - though where would I get electricity!! We need solar-powered GHD's!!

TinyGang Mon 29-May-06 13:08:11

Just another question - do you find using them often damages your hair badly?

Hollyboo Mon 29-May-06 14:02:51

I don't find they damage my hair and I use mine a lot. I always use Treseme Heat protection spray after washing my hair. You can get it in Boots and it lasts forever. You can get a GHD oil but I didn't find it great. Also a treatment in it at least once a week. Oh you'll be gorgeous!!!

sunnyside Mon 29-May-06 16:33:00

I had similar rservations about ghd : would I actually use em much? I bought tresemme ones for £35 at Argos and they're great for me. I know I'm gonna buy ghd's when these go but for starters they let me see how much I'd use them and if I could

NannyL Mon 29-May-06 16:39:48

GHD's are the ONLY straighteners i would even consider...

they mat be pricey but i honestly think they are worth EVERY single penny...

i got my extra wide ones about 2 years ago for about £80 online

sanchpanch Mon 29-May-06 17:09:58

i have ghd's and they are fab, i spray my hair with heat protection staightening spray first, there are loads on sale in boots,

most salon's sell the straighteners, -well worth it, go for it and treat yourself

crunchie Mon 29-May-06 17:20:35

Personally as you are just doing teh ends I wouldn't waste my money- sorry. I bought some from ebay at about £20, and they are now needing replacing after 2 years. OK another £20, but in 2 or 3 years time, will we all be straightening hair?? Who knows. So I am buying another cheap pair as I only use them once a week or less.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: