Talk

Advanced search

From pushchairs to vacuum cleaners, we've tested hundreds of products in real homes with real families. Head over to Mumsnet Reviews to find out which ones came out on top.

would you pay £250 for a wardrobe for your dd?

(23 Posts)
notasheep Sat 27-May-06 19:25:23

Its pine,painted white-never bought wooden furniture new before so havent a clue.

MarsLady Sat 27-May-06 19:27:26

IKEA is a much cheaper option.

However, it depends on the size of it and whether or not it will age with your DD iyswim.

notasheep Sat 27-May-06 19:29:20

its not a kiddies wardrobe -hanging rail for whole width,2 drawers underneath,wouldnt have to buy her a grown up one later.
Nearest Ikea is 2 hours

MarsLady Sat 27-May-06 19:30:53

Well if it's well made and will last "forever" then yeah!

apronstrings Sat 27-May-06 19:32:44

if i liked it yes - doesn't sound that expensive - although we tend to do the ikea thing too

WigWamBam Sat 27-May-06 19:35:47

Nothing would last forever in my dd's bedroom; she's clumsy and without meaning to be she's a real wrecker. It would be chipped and battered within days - so no, there's no way I'd spend that kind of money on a wardrobe for her. Not until she's a bit older and more careful.

I also tend to feel that when she's older she ought to be able to chose how she wants her own room to be, and if I'd spent £250 on a wardrobe I wouldn't want to shell out again. So for now it's cheap and cheerful all the way.

FrannyandZooey Sat 27-May-06 19:40:07

If it is well made and in a fairly classic design yes I would (if I could afford it at the time). You could always paint it a different colour or jazz it up in some way in the future.

JanH Sat 27-May-06 19:41:36

I bought a very solid pine wardrobe similar to that for DD2 when she was 9 or 10, notasheep - waxed rather than painted - and that cost about £350 over 10 years ago. So if yours is a properly built one then £250 sounds very reasonable.

WWB, your DD would struggle to do more than make a few little dents in ours - solid wood is much sturdier than self-assembly. (And as my DH always insists, it all adds character!)

notasheep Sat 27-May-06 19:42:09

Back to the auctions then,actually she may not get one at all,moving house today we couldnt get our wardrobe up the stairs

JanH Sat 27-May-06 19:43:45

Ours was made for us and it's in 2 parts - the hanging bit lifts off the drawers bit - could you find one like that?

WigWamBam Sat 27-May-06 19:43:49

JanH, you didn't see what she did to the solid wood wardrobe we used to have in the spare bedroom!!

Caligula Sat 27-May-06 19:44:22

Yes if I thought it would last until she left home.

JanH Sat 27-May-06 19:44:28

Oooh, go on then, what did she do to it?

WigWamBam Sat 27-May-06 19:48:45

Honestly, you don't want to know. Nothing was done deliberately, but various things ended up being bashed into it, she tripped up at one point and swung on one of the doors to stop herself falling over so that ended up half off the hinges and with deep scratches all down the doors, she got inside once and jumped up and down so we ended up with a hole in the floor (which wasn't as solid as the rest of the wardrobe was). It was an old wardrobe so it wasn't too much of a problem but it was a nice solid piece of furniture that had lasted for many years ... and which dd wrecked in a few months.

moondog Sat 27-May-06 19:50:33

Not when I could buy a beautiful solid oak hand carved second hand one for under £100 as have just done,no.

notasheep Sat 27-May-06 21:03:58

moondog-as you know i get ALL of my stuff second hand-remember that walnut chest of drawers for £60,however its a case of no time,need wardrobe,however dont think i will be able to bring myself to buy new.dd will just have to put up with a black bin liner for now

expatinscotland Sat 27-May-06 21:07:00

no.

i buy ALL the kids' furniture in charity shops - it's reasonably priced and delivered ready-built.

in fact, every stick of furniture in here, barring mattresses, is second-hand.

saw a GORGEOUS cabin bed today in Bernardos and would have snagged it for DD1 but it was already sold.

Caligula Sat 27-May-06 21:21:11

Isn't a jolly good wood wardrobe £250 second hand though?

I don't think I've recently seen one for under about £200. Even in charity shops. For a pine single really solid one, I don't think I'd get away with less than about £150 around here.

threebob Sat 27-May-06 21:29:32

The joy of fitted wardrobes.

moondog Sat 27-May-06 22:24:24

sheep,that's why I was surprised.
I remember the walnut number well!
(May I just boast a little about my antique Welsh rug,Louis XV chair,dressing table,child's elm chair and stool and the sweetest little child's dresser you ever saw,all for under £200??)

Wot's a cabin bed expat??

Earlybird Sat 27-May-06 22:43:30

moondog - that sounds amazing. Care to share your sources for such wonderful finds?

moondog Sun 28-May-06 21:12:42

Kill & Company in Llandwrog,outside Caernarfon in North Wales if you are ever passing EB.

Cappucino Sun 28-May-06 21:46:20

got dd1's wardrobe in one of those pound-type shops for a fiver

it's one of those canvas-on-a-frame jobs

it is her favourite shade of pink and when she's bored with it or it falls to bits it won't matter

kids like to choose their own stuff as they get older so I wouldn't buy anything you'd be upset if she didn't like as she grows up

i'd certainly look at cheaper options or at second-hand stuff you can paint up. £250 to me is a lot of money that could be much better spent on something else for your child later

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: