Talk

Advanced search

Mattresses

(9 Posts)
bumbleweed Sat 27-May-06 17:52:03

Does anyone know how much you need to pay to get a decent bed-matress and what to look for in terms of springs/materials/makes??

Went to a big bed and matress warehousey type shop today and came out knowing only that you can pay between £100 - £1000 and that there are hundreds of different types!

Obviously I did lie on a few - but you want something thats going to stay comfortable and last dont you?

Just wondered if anyone has been matress shopping recently?

shazronnie Sat 27-May-06 22:05:15

I used to work in beds dept, and you basically get what you pay for.
Some good brands are Slumberland, Sealy and Vi Spring.
If you are putting the mattress on a slatted bed base bear in mind it will feel firmer than on a sprung divan base.

I bought a Slumberland Gold seal about 5 years ago for about £500 and it is still very comfy. I would say if you spend £500 it will last you 10 years, only £1 a week!

Of course, if the mattress is for occasional spare bed use, then cheaper is fine.
Also for a kids bed you don't need to spend as much because the mattress is supporting less weight,

HTH!

bubble99 Sat 27-May-06 22:35:49

We've just bought a high-tech latex one from John Lewis (online) it supports and moulds to your shape and is the most comfortable thing I've ever slept on. It cost £750 so it bloomin' well should be!!

Both DH and I have back problems, so it was an essential buy for us.

Earlybird Sat 27-May-06 22:39:26

hijack alert - shazronnie, how do you know when a mattress needs to be replaced? Mine is about 15 years old, and I hadn't really thought of replacing it....

winniewoo Sun 28-May-06 07:33:39

We also bought a Slumberland gold seal about 7 yrs ago and love it..it's on a slatted base. Think we paid about £350 at the time.

misdee Sun 28-May-06 07:38:07

earlybird, think of all the shed skin and sweat in your bed. yuk

i spent 600 on our current bed. it was a luxery buy for us, but was fed up of replacing cheap matresses every two years.

bumbleweed Sun 28-May-06 20:43:36

Thanks shazronnie, just the kind of info I needed. We did look at some Sealy and Slumberland ones. £500 seems alot to pay but like you say if its to last 10 years. Thats why I thought I would do some research because I wouldnt spend that much on a TV or HiFi for example without knowing I was getting pretty much the best value for money. Yes it is a slatted base and I want a firmish one.

We also saw those latexy ones bubble but they are dearer and the salesman said they retain more heat?

Thanks for replying folks

shazronnie Tue 30-May-06 16:50:46

earlybird - 10 yrs is recommended, but more from a hygiene point of view. Your bed might still be comfy, but is likely to be full of dust mites, sweat, etc etc!

shazronnie Tue 30-May-06 16:52:23

Most latex are not suited to a slatted base - if you are heavy it can sink between the slats. I would avoid latex on slats.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: