Talk

Advanced search

Fridge Phonics - Any good?

(11 Posts)
AllBuggiedOut Fri 26-May-06 23:47:29

Or just plain irritating?

I wish they had lower case, not capitals, but would like to know what you think of them, and if you've got other recommendations for learn your letters/letter sounds toys.

Thanks!

expatinscotland Fri 26-May-06 23:48:27

i have one of those LeapFrog things the child plugs the letter in, pushes it and it sings a wee song about the letter.

annoying as all hell, but it keeps her quite in the kitchen whilst i'm trying to get on w/things.

moondog Sat 27-May-06 00:04:07

ABO,I subscribe to the old fashioned,sit down,shut up and bloody listen school of thought.

Agree with you re lower case letters.

My best thing ever is one of those scribble boards where you can swipe off what you have written and use over.
Dd and I practice writing letters/words/numbers in bed with this every night.
She really enjoys it.

brimfull Sat 27-May-06 00:17:42

I saw lower case magnetis letters in hobbycraft the other day.

serenity Sat 27-May-06 01:46:12

I bought DD this because she kept playing with it at BFs house. She loves it, it is irritating after a while but then most noisy kids stuff is. I was quite stunned though when this morning she told me what the letter was before she'd made it play - she's only 2.5! I think she only knows a couple, but I'm pretty chuffed

studentmum1 Sat 27-May-06 07:31:54

i bought this for my dd, definatly annoying but she loves it! it keeps her out of trouble whilst she watching me in the kitchen. even though she's only 18 months old, she has started to copy the sounds of the letters

Wisp Sat 27-May-06 11:37:49

Mine love it too, my 2 yr old repeats the letters, and ds1 who is 4 has learnt all the letter names in two weeks, after me buying it.
Bloody annoying though !!

Lact8 Sat 27-May-06 11:51:53

We have a jigsaw puzzle that ds2 loves

He's also beginning to point out the letters for his name on the pc keyboard

Moondog, where did you get your scribble board from?

moondog Sat 27-May-06 13:06:06

It was a present L8,so not sure.
It's called 'Super Scribbler'

Carameli Sat 27-May-06 13:52:49

my dd is now 2.5 and got these last Christmas. She loves them to bits. I agree with it been a bit annoying being capital letters. I got around this by getting a pack of lower case magnets from ELC and have got her to match the upper and lower case together as a game. She now knows nearly all her letters and loves pointing them out when we are out and about.
Another good thing she has is a Balamory scribble thing. So sometimes we just sit together and I will draw a letter for her to guess. Seems to work so far

AllBuggiedOut Sat 27-May-06 14:31:58

Am with you Moondog, but also suscribe to the "for f*'s sake, just play on your own for a while while I do some washing" school of thought!

Fab idea Carameli, will do that!

Cheers ladies, think some rainy bank holiday shopping is called for.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: