Talk

Advanced search

How do you clean your wooden floors

(11 Posts)
kbaby Wed 24-May-06 15:00:41

Help,

Ive just had wooden floors laid. I know that I bought shiny planks but now laid they look grubby and matt.

How can I clean wood and how can I get a shine back on them?

MrsDoolittle Wed 24-May-06 15:02:07

orange oil accoding to cappuchino - i think

JanH Wed 24-May-06 15:03:44

From Country Living mag:

CARE AND MAINTENANCE
New wooden floors, apart from those painted, should be sealed. For general cleaning use a generic hardwood floor cleaner. Mop, brush or vacuum regularly but don’t use excessive amounts of water or, washing-up liquid as it leaves a sticky residue. Avoid damaging it by putting felt pads under chair legs and removing castors from furniture. Parquet floors are best cleaned with water, not chemicals. Polish with natural oils such as Osmo oil or Johnson’s Liquid Traffic Wax. Beeswax and turpentine improves appearance and provides protection.

Norah Wed 24-May-06 15:04:11

orange oil makes them v slippery !

is it real wood or laminate ?

Lakeland sell a great laminate cleaner that brings the floor up nice and shiny but not slippery.

Real wood - don't know - other than my mum used to have a big "buffing machine" to do hers when I was small !

zubb Wed 24-May-06 15:13:48

we have bamboo floors and I wash them with hot soapy water and they come up great - for the 5 minutes before the kids get back on them!

Cappucino Wed 24-May-06 16:50:14

it's actually three drops of orange essential oil in a bucket of water

just orange oil on it's own would be a bit much

I don't go for shine, though, if that's what you're looking for. don't want my kids to go skidding

Coolmama Thu 25-May-06 19:23:54

wood soap - you can add it to the mopping bucket and just slosh it all on - works a charm

BettySpaghetti Thu 25-May-06 19:30:26

We have wooden floorboards and parquet -both sorts are varnished, some matt and some have a slight gloss.

I hoover or sweep them regularly for general dust and dirt but to clean them properly use Pledge liquid for wooden floors -you just pop a capful in a bucket of warm water and mop as usual. Doesn't leave any residue either.

FillyjonktheSnibbet Thu 25-May-06 19:35:31

clean...floors....clean...floors...

nope, nearly had it there for a moment but its gone again...

kbaby Sun 28-May-06 22:27:55

Thanks.

I've just bought some mr muscle wood cleaner so Ill give that a go and my dad said to use turps to get the gluey residue off them.
Looks like ill be speanding the bank holiday on my knees.

sallystrawberry Sun 28-May-06 22:32:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: