Talk

Advanced search

amtico floors - are they worth it?

(13 Posts)
bummer Tue 23-May-06 17:51:16

Wondering about splashing out on amtico floors but am I being stupid? trying to make our home look decent but wondering if I should just go for lino any of you have amtico?

jampots Tue 23-May-06 17:52:19

we have karndean which is apparently similar - actually is crap. OUr friends have Amtico and it is lovely. My advice would be if you can afford it go for it but make sure you get a proper fitter

kalex Tue 23-May-06 17:55:50

JP,

what don't you like about Kardean, I love mine!

jampots Tue 23-May-06 21:19:03

well it marks despite assurances that it woiuldnt, and never looks "clean" despite obvious cleaning and also is pitted in places from heels which we were also told wouldnt happen.

Twiglett Tue 23-May-06 21:20:13

overpriced .. get the tiling boards that fit like laminate flooring (but look like tiles) from B&Q

LotosEater Tue 23-May-06 21:22:47

Kaarndean has been doing V nicely in my bathroom for 18 months - no heel marks or pitting, but then we don't wear shoes in the house (but that's another thread )

jampots Tue 23-May-06 21:33:55

to be fair the Karndean we have in our bathroom has been excellent but just not in the hallway.

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Tue 23-May-06 22:06:47

We have Karndean in hall, kitchen and dining room. It's been down a year and so far looks fab, despite me being a bit slovenly when it comes to cleaning it. But it is really important to get a good fitter, there's quite some skill in it.

bummer Wed 24-May-06 12:58:10

To tell you the truth, I'm only wondering about amtico as we are then going to put the house on the market and wonder if it will give it a bit of "wow"?

gingernut Wed 24-May-06 13:10:34

Wouldn't bother if you're doing it to sell - I'd go for something cheaper. We have amtico (paid for by previous occupants thank goodness) and it looks reasonable considering it's in our hall, kitchen and breakfast room (so it gets lots of wear and has been down for more than 7 years, (since we moved in) and probably about 10). It does need a bit of work to keep it looking really good though (which is why ours only looks reasonable).

Waswondering Wed 24-May-06 13:18:14

Mil had amtico and karndean. She loves the Karndean and hates the Amtico - says the latter is really hard to maintain.

What room is it for? If you're selling, I would go for tasteful new lino - that would, I'm sure, be fine and noticeably "fresh" from the buyer's perspective. Buyers may want to completely redecorate anyway, regardless of your tastefulness, iyswim!

fairyjay Wed 24-May-06 13:20:34

We have Amtico at home and use it commercially. We've never had a wear problem - M & S use it in their stores, so it should be pretty good!

I like the fact that you can 'mix and match' to get a really good effect, and if budget is an issue, just use it in smaller area, as part of an overall floorcovering design. My dd's room has a plain grey carpet (boring!!) with 'diamonds' of the different coloured sparkly Amtico cut into it - really lifts the room.

bummer Wed 24-May-06 17:36:03

Hmmm don't like the sound of having to maintain amtico, knowing our lot it would be ruined before the house gets a sale! Now wondering about kardean.

Thanks everyone.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: