Talk

Advanced search

Is a bugaboo more likely to get stolen?

(15 Posts)
MissTweed Sun 19-May-13 21:51:37

Firstly I'm sorry if I have posted this in the wrong category, didn't know where else to post it.

My DH and I have been looking at travel systems and were suckered into the bugaboo chameleon (before now always dismissed it as a fashion item (and waaaaaaay too expensive) but.......

How common is it to have your pushchair stolen?? (I'm pregnant with first baby so have no idea)

I've seen places where they have pushchair parks etc but what's stopping someone walking out and taking a liking to your system and helping themselves to a free upgrade?

Slightly worried that spending £800 on a fancy must have pushchair is slightly "asking for it"

Or am I just being overly paranoid??

JoCael Sun 19-May-13 22:59:53

Hi there, I get what your saying, I had the Cameleon for my second child and it cost over £1000 inc all the accessories (footmuff, buggy board etc) as you say it is pretty expensive! We've travelled round Europe a lot and the bugaboo is very popular, I've seen people with buggy chains (pretty similar or the same as bike chains) attached to their Bugaboo outside Cafes, Restaurants and Parks, so that's always an idea. Tbh I didn't invest in one as I made sure my pram was always beside me and bought a MacLaren for times where I knew I couldn't take the buggy in (toddler classes etc). Look at it this way, would you leave £1000.00 sitting about? No way! So I think your wise to ask! They are very expensive & popular push chairs. Good luck with your decision. They are by far worth every penny, quality and hard wearing prams.

MissTweed Mon 20-May-13 06:27:12

Thanks Jo, that confirms that I wasn't going mad!! Lol buggy chains seem like an idea that will please my DH (he's a security obsessed copper that assumes everyone is a criminal in the waiting! Lol)

MissTweed Mon 20-May-13 06:29:59

I was also a tad worried that the whole kate middleton effect might increase the theft rate of them?

We have 2 working cocker spaniels which we keep a closer eye on when out as there has been a surge in thefts since wills and kate got one (got mine first, I'm not a copy-kate! Lol

IsThisAGoodIdea Mon 20-May-13 06:39:18

I never had my Bugaboo stolen, but then it was always where I could see it.

Never heard of anyone having a pram stolen. I suppose it must happen but I wouldn't fret about it.

Btw, Bugaboos are already ubiquitous, I doubt the royal baby being pushed about in one will make much difference.

MrsBungle Mon 20-May-13 06:44:27

I've never heard of anyone I know having their pram stolen . I have a cameleon - it's far from a fashion item! It's brilliant. I've used it for 2 kids and its still going strong.

I wouldn't leave it outside shops etc but I do leave it outside say the hall at a toddler group.

GwendolineMaryLacey Mon 20-May-13 06:46:35

My eldest is 5 so I've got a few pushchair years under my belt. I can count on one hand the number of times I've had to leave the pushchair somewhere. Usually it's right beside me. I have heard of pushchairs being stolen and every single time it's been from the owner's front porch.

MelanieWiggles Mon 20-May-13 06:48:15

You can always get a buggy lock.

CreatureRetorts Mon 20-May-13 06:57:46

Bugaboos are popular and have been way before Kate came along.
You could always get a decent secondhand one (as many sell them quickly when they have a second) so spending less money.

AntoinetteCosway Mon 20-May-13 07:54:44

I read (Guardian?) that the most commonly stolen pram is the Maclaren XLR.

MissTweed Mon 20-May-13 07:57:21

That's really interesting as the pushchair I was going to get before we saw the bugaboo was the XLR but it never crossed my mind that it would be more desirable!!! Lol

Maybe I'm just feeling scared because of the price tag

AntoinetteCosway Mon 20-May-13 08:00:53

We've got the XLR (before I read about it's steal-ability!). It's sturdy and will last for years. Personally I think bugaboos and the like are very overpriced.

CreatureRetorts Mon 20-May-13 08:38:02

I do love the maclaren. Not for a newborn though even if you can use from birth!

AntoinetteCosway Mon 20-May-13 09:35:41

We used it with DD from birth with no probs - she was in the carry cot for the first couple of months, then the car seat, then when I was ready for her she was ready to face forwards she sat in it as a normal pram.

noisytoys Mon 20-May-13 09:38:34

We went to Disney World with a Phil and Teds and locked the front wheel and back wheel together with a bike lock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now