Talk

Advanced search

From pushchairs to vacuum cleaners, we've tested hundreds of products in real homes with real families. Head over to Mumsnet Reviews to find out which ones came out on top.

horse-mad 6 yr old

(21 Posts)
sansouci Mon 22-May-06 16:09:58

help. my dd will be 6 in June & wants a horse for her birthday. As if!

I've never seen a less-likely horsewoman in my life -- dd looks as if she'd blow away on a windy day -- but she's crazy about the beasts. what can I give her for her birthday?

bensmum3 Mon 22-May-06 16:16:46

How about a couple of riding lessons ? my dd is very petite and loves riding, or , she has spent the last 6 years (now 11) playing with model horses and stables, she started with a couple of horses and a cardboard box for a stable,she has made rugs and rosettes from scraps of material, and now has a whole stable yard, people, and accessories ( from julip, elc and a couple of others).
Books are another big hit, sophie in the saddle was in favour at about your dd age.
By the way dd has not given up asking for a horse

Mfer Mon 22-May-06 18:25:10

I gave mine riding lessons and our local stables do an Own a pony day in the summer holidays for all ages. We also bought a play set of stables which she loved.

She also had a PC game which was fab Crayola Paint and Play pony - not quite the real thing but she liked it - she has got over it now and wants a new kitten called Leonardon de caprio!!

sansouci Mon 22-May-06 19:49:57

I had thought of giving her some lessons but once she's hooked, I'm finished! It is soooo expensive (I know because her best friend rides, which I'm sure is 90% of the attraction anyway) & then I'll also have to hang around the stables for hours while she has her lessons. Yawn!

sansouci Mon 22-May-06 19:51:15

Why does my little poney not fit the bill?

Mfer Mon 22-May-06 21:01:17

That's another good one except they are not like "real"horses!!!

She may have a lesson and not enjoy it - it has been know or perhaps you could just go once a month and see how she gets on??????

My daughter now dances instead much cheaper. in doors and she gets to do a show every year which puts her in the limelight - digressing from the pony thread but sometimes I find distraction works wonders........

Pixel Tue 23-May-06 14:38:05

You could take her to visit a pony sanctuary and let her 'adopt' one. Most of them have schemes where you get photos and newsletters throughout the year. That way she could impress her horsey friend without getting hooked on the actual riding!

MrsBadger Tue 23-May-06 14:40:14

horsey bedlinen?
spent ages searching for this for someone on MN a while ago and now it seems to be everywhere I look....

Blu Tue 23-May-06 14:43:54

A couple of riding lessons on a particularly cold day, on a viscious looking pony with an uncombable mane, that bolts and terrifies her?

That might get rid of her wish for a RL pony!

robin3 Tue 23-May-06 14:55:08

I desperately wanted a pony when small and had lessons....Mum didn't need to hang around and really had no part although the stables were very local. I accepted that I couldn't have my own pony.

MamaMaiasaura Tue 23-May-06 14:56:45

have a look here horsetoys and here and here [grin} hth

Or you could get a horse pendant?

MamaMaiasaura Tue 23-May-06 14:57:17

re cost of riding - can get second hand clothes for it quite cheap.

Piffle Tue 23-May-06 15:06:35

Pony novels!!! I was an avid reader of pony books. Horse mad at 4,5 and 6 and I even had a real pony a year later aged 7, after my mother said....
"I've never seen a girl less likely to become a horsewoman, stand her sideways and mark her absent, not made of stern enough stuff..."
Hee hee I went onto represent my country at under 17's

Fauve Tue 23-May-06 15:12:43

Pixel, are those sponsorship schemes really good? I'm v. tempted for dd, especially if the sanctuary was close enough to London for us to visit. Nice ethos behind giving something like that. I wouldn't mind being given one myself, actually.

Pixel Tue 23-May-06 17:21:30

I've not actually tried one of the adoption schemes myself (not ponies anyway) and I suppose different places vary but this one looks quite good.

Oh and for people looking for cheap horsey gear, Tesco has got a good range at the moment. I've had a look and it's nice stuff. Unlike Lidl the hats are to British safety standards.

Fauve Tue 23-May-06 19:29:51

Oooh, £60 a year, though! I spose you get what you pay for. Thanks for the link, Pixel! Maybe we should buy the leg of a shared horse, instead [dreams on].

Pixel Tue 23-May-06 20:12:31

It does sound a lot when you say it like that but I suppose you wouldn't miss £5 per month. I wonder how many adopters they need per horse to pay for its keep?

Back to horsey pressies, I usually manage to find something at Robinsons country leisure

Fauve Tue 23-May-06 21:34:29

Oh, wow, some lovely things on there. Hope you find something, sansouci.

Skribble Tue 23-May-06 23:18:31

If you are needing horsey kit Tescos is doing hats, boots, gloves and tack at my superstore and lidl often gets stuff in.

Skribble Tue 23-May-06 23:19:49

Sorry I see somebody already mentioned tesco, I suppose you have discussed the Jackie books too .

sansouci Wed 24-May-06 08:06:45

Wow, all these helpful replies! Since we're going to England next week, I'll have a look round Tesco & places. I know she'd like a book & I did find a playmobil stable over here. She's since mentioned a horse necklace (or a dolphin one, Mummy!).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: