Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for hip carrier please

(26 Posts)
BonyM Mon 22-May-06 14:19:15

Dd2 is 14mths (on the small side) and although I have a great Kozy Carrier, and a Hipseat, I could really do with a sling/carrier which will enable me to carry her on my hip, comfortably, for shortish periods of time (probably 1/2hr or so).

Does anyone have any recommendations please? I also have a ring sling, but don't find this terribly comfortable for long.

Have seen a US product called the Hip Hammock which seems quite good - anyone got one?

amazonianwoman Mon 22-May-06 14:40:44

Haven't tried one yet (thinking of ordering one), but have heard good reviews about the Ellaroo Mei Hip carrier here

amazonianwoman Mon 22-May-06 14:43:02

Forgot to add, have read reviews that the Hip Hammock can really dig into your neck, whereas the mei-hip is on your shoulder (with weight distributed on hip too!)

BonyM Mon 22-May-06 14:45:41

Ooh, I like the look of that. I can feel a purchase coming on....

nicnack2 Mon 22-May-06 14:47:06

hippy chick. found it very comfortable.

BonyM Mon 22-May-06 15:02:47

Yes, I have a Hippychick, but want something which leaves my arms free.

Have just ordered the Ellaroo - want me to report back, amazonianwoman?

Mfer Mon 22-May-06 18:23:25

Was at the Babyshow at the weekend saw quite alot of people walking round with the Hip hammock on - they all looked quite happy with it and a couple of the chidren were asleep - one looked about 18months and seemed perfectly happy. you can get it from this babyshow link here:this

Psychobabble Mon 22-May-06 18:42:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Psychobabble Mon 22-May-06 18:43:51

BonyM Mon 22-May-06 19:09:05

Will report back on the Ellaroo once I receive it. Hopefully will be in the next day or two as they say they send by 1st class post.

BonyM Mon 22-May-06 19:13:45

Mfer - apparently that Playtex hammock is not the "original" Hip Hammock, and on reading reviews, is not as comfortable as the original one. Can't find the site now to do a link.

Mfer Mon 22-May-06 20:59:02

i didn't know that I think they had to change something on it - maybe its not as new and improved as it says on the box...........perhaps they will get some testimonials on the site to prove it wrong....... I know my friend had the hippychick seat but changed it for a backpack!!!

SoupDragon Mon 22-May-06 21:03:31

You can apparently use the coories and kimmers here for a hip carry. They are like a ring sling though, only without the rings.

amazonianwoman Mon 22-May-06 22:44:13

BonyM - yes, would love to hear what you think of the mei-hip! Glad the link was of some use

BonyM Tue 23-May-06 12:01:22

Should have it tomorrow - just had an email saying it's been dispatched! Am all excited .

Psychobabble Tue 23-May-06 12:29:44

BonyM Thu 25-May-06 11:23:36

Just picked my Ellaroo up from the post office and have tried it on but dd2 is asleep atm so can't give it a proper test.

First impressions - very compact and easy to put on - can't wait to try it out!

Will report back later!

BonyM Thu 25-May-06 20:32:51

Well - I think it's fab. Really comfortable, easy to get baby in and out, doesn't drag on my back or shoulders. DD2 seems really happy in it as well. Would definitely recommend it.

Would just mention though, that the leaflet says that the buckles come ready threaded - which they do, but on my sling they were the wrong way around so I had to take them off and re-thread them. Not a major problem though!

Tatties Fri 26-May-06 09:44:47

BonyM, my ds is 14mths too, and I have been thinking about getting some form of carrier as he's not too happy in the buggy these days. Do you think you can bf while using the Ellaroo? Or is it silly to attempt it with a larger baby?!

Psychobabble how are you getting on with it?

expatinscotland Fri 26-May-06 09:59:30

I use the Kimmer and it's FAB!

For hte most part, though, she still rides facing front in her Wilkinet.

BonyM Fri 26-May-06 11:19:32

Tatties - not sure how easy it would be to bfeed tbh. DD2 only feeds first thing in the morning and last thing at night now so I don't have the situation of needing to feed while out and about.

It is a lovely carrier though .

Psychobabble Fri 26-May-06 19:16:09

SoupDragon Fri 26-May-06 19:43:17

expatinscotland, I love my Kimmer. BabyDragon rides in it every day on the school run and she's at exactly the right height for maximum flirting and attention grabbing.

Tatties Sat 27-May-06 09:43:30

So, good reports as a hip carrier, but I would be ambitious to try and bf in it! I actually had a look at a couple of the sites linked to here and there seems to be a few other options. I think the idea of hiring one from bigmamaslings is great.

(Psychobabble pop in for a cuppa if you like Won't be my neck of the woods for much longer - we are finally moving!)

threebob Sat 27-May-06 09:45:40

The hip seat will be virtually hands free as your dd gets bigger - honestly. DS is 3 now and holds onto me himself (think small monkey clinging onto mother monkey).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: