Talk

Advanced search

From pushchairs to vacuum cleaners, we've tested hundreds of products in real homes with real families. Head over to Mumsnet Reviews to find out which ones came out on top.

Need a cheap, light booster car seat for holidays - any recommendations?

(15 Posts)
hulababy Mon 22-May-06 11:57:06

We are off on holiday next month. We would rather not take DD's own booster seat as it cost a fair bit and we don't want to risk it getting knocked about in the hold. The quotes for renting a car seat are really high, and the ones we have rented in past have not been great.

So we are looking for a booster seat for her. She is 4yo. It needs to be relatively light and also cheap - just to be used on holidays. I would want one that has a back with some side protection. POh, and it really needs to be able to come apart - so back can be seperated from the seat - for packing.

Any ideas? Thank you.

shazronnie Mon 22-May-06 12:20:34

This one in Argos here

shazronnie Mon 22-May-06 12:21:07

Hoorah I did a link!!!

LIZS Mon 22-May-06 12:26:09

Mothercare do one(in a tropical pink!) for £29.99 but otherwise you may as well spend £39.99 (reduced price) on a Britax HiLiner - which according to the MC website you can split (?) - and feel she is in a good quality, safe one.

hulababy Mon 22-May-06 12:29:30

I don't think the Hi-linerer splits. PILs have one in their car for DD and I am sure it doesn't.

Thanks - will look at others.

LIZS Mon 22-May-06 12:34:09

I had thought that of the Hi Liner too ...

ernest Mon 22-May-06 12:47:38

make sure the booster seat has got 'arms' that stick out, so the seat belt holds it in place though. Ones without are known to slip out from under a child if involved in a crash and can doo more damage than no booster in the 1st place.

hulababy Mon 22-May-06 12:50:09

I have just emailed Virgin Atlantic also to see if there is any chance of taking our own seat onto the plane with us, so not in the hold. This would be best solution if possible.

ernest - that is the style (no arms) we wer first given as our car seat rental in France last year. Ee refused it and insisted on a safer seat.

hulababy Tue 23-May-06 11:52:24

Definitely can't take wn car seat onto the plane itself, can only go in hold

ernest Tue 23-May-06 12:33:19

If she's paying for own seat, why can't she take it on?

This one at mothercare seems to 'tick all the boxes' - it's cheap, comes apart, has the proper 'arms' thingies on the seat for the seat belt and claims to be lightweight. Sorry, don't seem to have a backward slash to do the link, but go to mothercare site, then car seats, booster seats & it's graco, red & black

hulababy Tue 23-May-06 12:36:07

The Graco Junior? If so it is ont he Which list of seats to avoid As is the Britax ranger. Not sure whether I can bring myself to buy one knowing that.

According to Virgin Atlantic's email:

"Since August 1998 it has been company policy not to allow passengers to take their own child seats into the aircraft cabin. "

shazronnie Tue 23-May-06 17:10:32

if you took your own and it got damaged would your holiday insurance cover it?
might be worth finding out, as that would solve your problem.

sunnydelight Tue 23-May-06 18:44:54

Don't know who you're flying with but Ryanair and Easyjet both make you sign a disclaimer these days if you put your car seat in the hold saying that you accept it's fragile, may get damaged, and they are not responsible for it! I agree buying a cheap one to take is your best bet. I got one from Halfords ages ago for a tenner; not the fanciest booster in the world but it does have arms.

LIZS Tue 30-May-06 16:14:57

Not that cheap but safe, the Maxi Cosi Rodi, which does split, is reduced to £49.99 in Halfords atm here or, rather less ideally but compact, the Britax Horizon booster cushion (which has arms and a shoulder strap clip) is £14.99, in a pink and grey colourway.

NannyL Tue 30-May-06 18:59:19

i have a couple of Britax Highliners.... they DO NOT split!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: