Lact8 Sun 21-May-06 19:20:41

Wait til you wash them then!

Mine ended up looking like two old tissues and threw them in the bin

So glad I got them in the sale at mothercare

Enid Sun 21-May-06 19:23:11

i was hoping that washing might improve the absorbency

the disposable ones are Soooooooooo expensive and I get through tons

intergalacticwalrus Sun 21-May-06 19:23:14

I gave up with breats pads in the end. They were useless. I still looked like I spilt something down my top within minutes of putting them in.

intergalacticwalrus Sun 21-May-06 19:24:05

Enid, I got my disp ones from tesco. They were much cheaper than mothercare etc (or so I remember anyway)

Lact8 Sun 21-May-06 19:28:03

I find that I need to use two disposable ones one each side to prevent leakage

During the early weeks when I knew I'd be at home all day I'd use a folded up baby vest instead

<whispers> And still use them during the night too

intergalacticwalrus Sun 21-May-06 19:29:48

I gave up on them in the night too, as I'd still wake up in a cold wet puddle. Yuk!!! I used to sleep on towels to stop it being so bad. Blimey, I had forgotten all about this! Have got it all to come again in 4 months

Lact8 Sun 21-May-06 19:42:56

I know what you mean, two big wet patches really dampened (ha ha) my enthusiasm of finally being able to sleep on my front again

intergalacticwalrus Sun 21-May-06 19:46:12

That and the fact that it's like trying to sleep on a couple of barrage balloons

Oh the joys of motherhood.

BettySpaghetti Sun 21-May-06 19:48:23

The washable ones are so bulky aren't they? I had some (Kooshies I think?) that were like sticking two large, round cushions down your bra but were still soaked through in no time.

I used Tescos or Boots disposable ones

jaspersslave Sun 21-May-06 19:52:23

i found breast pads useless so i used the breast shells that collect the milk and you can pour it out and save it the only problem was you had to keep checking they werent to full and coulnt use them lying down.
im expecting next baby in november and will defo use them again

mojomummy Sun 21-May-06 20:23:54

Lilypadz are the answer apparently. Cost about £14 but you can wash reuse them. They are thin, silicone-ish I think.

I went through stacks last time & bought the resuable avent pads - which are SO bulky. This time, I'll be treating myself to the Lilypadz & a couple of decent bras

expatinscotland Sun 21-May-06 20:26:36

I used Lansinoh ones and found them satisfactory. Of course, it was winter so I could hide my streaming norks under bulky jumpers.

Now, they make great drawer sachets - I just top them up w/a few drops of lavender oil every week or so and my clothes smell lovely!

morningpaper Sun 21-May-06 20:28:19

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I LOVE mine

Gloworm Sun 21-May-06 20:32:23

Ageeeeeeeeeeee with morningpaper

(i think mine were boots washable, at least I bought them in boots anyway)

tortoise Sun 21-May-06 20:32:40

Bit of a hijack- I have around 60 tommee tippee(and some lansinoh) breast pads that im trying to sell.All individually wrapped.Seems a waste to bin them.Any offers considered!Thanks.

TLM2 Sun 21-May-06 20:32:51

Gosh, expatinscotland you really made me laugh. I've been wondering what to do with mine, now I know. Whata great idea.

PinkTulips Sun 21-May-06 20:33:11

i used the avent ones and just carried spares, worked a bit like changing dd's nappy, whenever i realised i'd had a bit of a spurt i went and changed them before they had the chance to seep through, and never kept them in for feeding, baby at one boob and muslin pressed hard to the other (and people wonder why i was embaressed to feed in public!)

Gloworm Sun 21-May-06 20:33:39

Ooooh expat, great tip, i might have to dig mine out again!

Gloworm Sun 21-May-06 20:35:43

ah the memories come flooding back now
always had a folded tea-towel pressed against the other one when feeding!

Gloworm Sun 21-May-06 20:36:13

no pun intended re:flooding

expatinscotland Sun 21-May-06 20:36:42

Seriously, ladies, they're GREAT as sachets, much better than lavender flowers stuffed into an old knee-high tight.

B/c they're washable, you can chuck 'em in and start afresh once you think they're saturated.

SoupDragon Sun 21-May-06 20:37:52

Apparantly newborn nappies work well They are, of course, a little more obtrusive than your run-of-the-mill breastpad.

PinkTulips Sun 21-May-06 20:40:32

now that would be an interesting fashion statement soupdragon! i can just imagine a bra fashioned out of nappies now

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: