Talk

Advanced search

Laptop

(5 Posts)
jenk1 Sat 20-May-06 20:25:43

DH really wants a laptop but we dont really know anything about them and wondered if someone could kindly give us some tips on what to look for/a good make etc

Thanks

scienceteacher Sun 21-May-06 08:32:42

No specific recommendations on brands, but I would just say that you should think seriously of getting one that is Wifi ready (ie with an internal wireless network card). A DVD r/w is also a good idea.

As for selecting, I would be torn between two choices - going for the cheapest, and plan to replace it in a few years, or go for the most I could afford and hang onto it for longer.

NotQuiteCockney Sun 21-May-06 08:36:31

Computers are always getting better + cheaper, so I'd buy the second-cheapest, and keep it for a little while.

We've been quite happy with Dell, their prices are v. competitive, and the laptop is lovely, big screen, built-in wireless, etc etc.

Oh, you do want to think about battery life. We don't really use ours away from a plug, so it hasn't got the best battery life. More would cost more, and be heavier.

LilacBump Sun 21-May-06 08:37:29

we have an Apple ibook G4. great machine. only complaint is the battery life, but i hear most laptop batteries don't last that long.

RuthT Sun 21-May-06 19:46:16

If you go onto the John Lewis site they have buying guide which is quite good to read.

Depends what you will use it for too. If you need to send files to people in companies other than media companies think about not getting an apple. The files aren't compatible - so someone told me

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: