Talk

Advanced search

Induction Cooktops - whaddyareckon?

(9 Posts)
suzywong Sat 20-May-06 10:05:54

I will be refurbishing the kitchin within 12 months, I cannot begin to communicate my ecstasy but I would like your opinion on Induction Cooktops.

I saw one demonstrated in a store today and it looked good, really good, as good as gas. Any opinions?

GeorginaA Sat 20-May-06 10:09:56

I would be wary - simply because every time I browse through the Lakeland catalogue, all the pots and pans and things say "not suitable for induction" - that's got to be a pain, hasn't it?!

suzywong Sat 20-May-06 12:57:58

Thanks GA, but i checked already that all my pans will do the job

Anyone else? Does it seem too good to be true?

geekgrrl Sat 20-May-06 13:44:21

induction is FAB! It's so much more controlled, great for keen cooks - you can up or reduce the heat very very quickly and in a very precise way.
And the hob surface doesn't get hot, which makes it a lot safer.
Getting pans isn't particularly difficult, as long as they're steel and not aluminium they're fine.

mixed Sat 20-May-06 14:21:24

my sister would not change her induction cooker for anything else!

wilbur Sat 20-May-06 14:23:04

We're doing our kitchen too in the next few months (I join you in ecstasy, SW) and are definitely going for an induction hob. I saw one demoed in the US some years ago and it was amazing. They're a doddle to clean and much safer for the kids and use far far less electricity and boil stuff way faster. Can't wait. I like the look o fone of the bosch ones, btw.

Carmenere Sat 20-May-06 14:24:28

I'm sorry but I don't trust anything other than gas.

suzywong Sat 20-May-06 14:43:05

Hmmmm.....they do seem to be the answer to a cook's prayers. Thanks for the info. As the kitchen is sooooo tiny and I will be short of countertop space I may go for it, as you can use the surface to rest equipment etc on.

And as I am going to catering college part time I will be able to get my gas fix there, I hope. Love gas, love it. I have been using a ^ceramic top hob^ for nearly 2 years now . Oh, the Horror.

geekgrrl Sat 20-May-06 14:43:29

make sure you get a decent, high-powered one. We have a top-of-the-range DeDietrich which is a lot more powerful and faster to respond than my parents' old Bosch one.
Gas is just archaic compared with induction.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: