Talk

Advanced search

From pushchairs to vacuum cleaners, we've tested hundreds of products in real homes with real families. Head over to Mumsnet Reviews to find out which ones came out on top.

Tripp-Trapp - worth it?

(22 Posts)
hockeymum Fri 19-May-06 20:59:00

Has anyone got one? Are they good? what is not so good about them?

I have dd age 3 1/2 not in a highchair but needs to be a bit higher in relation to our dining table and ds who will need a highchair in about months time. I'm wondering whether to buy a tripptrapp now for her to use for 6 months and then let him have it after that, or whether to just buy a chicco polly or happy snacker or someting that reclines for him. Any ideas? Newborn baby brain renders me incapable of making decisions!

Thomcat Fri 19-May-06 21:02:14

I would say yes.
Our 4 yr old is still using hers, it sits round the table like one of the dining chairs, and when an adult guest pulls it out to sit down they can still use it to sit on.

I bought another one for dd2.

They support baby well, not slipping forward etc and they can sit at table rather than back a bit wioth their own mini table.

LIZS Fri 19-May-06 21:07:19

dd still uses hers at 4 1/2, no plans to do away with it. Definitely worth the money as we originally had one for ds which cost half the price but used it less than half as long as we have this one so far!

sansouci Fri 19-May-06 21:08:43

No, not worth the money. Yes, they look so much better than a regular highchair & you can use them for longer but the wooden bar gets to be a real nuisance & I don't think the chair is too comfortable, either. It's a fine chair but not worth the dosh, IMO.

dinny Fri 19-May-06 21:09:17

always hankered after one and do wish I'd got one as a friend's (big) 4 yo uses his all the time still.

LIZS - have you moved yet?

sansouci Fri 19-May-06 21:11:01

Hate to admit it, but ds (2.5) is still in the plastic Graco I used for dd. It reclines, it washes, it has a huge removable & washable tray & it's a breeze to get ds in & out of.

LIZS Fri 19-May-06 21:12:31

{apologies, hijack alert} Hi Dinny, no not sold ourselves yet and a dirth of suitable places to buy

Thomcat Fri 19-May-06 21:18:52

sansouci - what wooden bar is a nuisance????
Personally, re the comfort thing hockeymum I would say a wooden chair that supports the back is more comfortable than a hard plastic one that doesn't support the back.

Thomcat Fri 19-May-06 21:21:07

sorry sansousi - but have to ask this - why is a reclining highchair a good thing???
Btw - you can wash a wooden highchair no probs, you don't need to remove and wash a tray as they sit at table with rest of family and never had a prob getting my dd out of the tripp trapp.

sansouci Fri 19-May-06 21:25:38

must admit that I never used the reclining part but it did sound like a good idea at the time. As for the bar, I have so much trouble getting my ds' chubby rugby-sized thighs in that I have to pull the bar out of the chair & then reinsert it once he's in. (There are tripp-trapps at a local restaurant we often go to so this is why I know!) However, tripp-trapps have a good resale value (I had one for dd & sold it) whereas no-one will probably touch my good old Graco with a barge-pole.

fruitful Fri 19-May-06 22:20:17

A reclining highchair is a good thing, because then they can "sit" at the table with you when they are 3 months old, and you need somewhere to put them while you eat your dinner...

I've always wondered though, how this "with you at the table" thing works - the not-having-a-tray thing. Ds makes the most incredible mess of his highchair tray but at least it is contained and wipe-clean. And when he keeps chucking stuff on the floor, I can put it out of reach on the table. If he could reach the table, we'd all have to sit a bit further away from him so he couldn't grab our plates and glasses. How do you manage?

moondog Fri 19-May-06 22:23:55

You take the bar off when they get bigger.
My ds (23 mths)USES THE ONE |I bought for dd over 5 years ago.
It's great.

If you want no fuss,easy to clean and aesthetically pleasing (ie no monstrous plastic padding emblazoned with fecking trains and teddies)go for the £20 IKEA Antelop which i also have foro ur home in Turkey.
It's great.

hulababy Fri 19-May-06 22:24:36

DD is just 4yo and uses her Tripp Trapp for every meal, and has done whenever we have been home since being 5 months old. I live the fact that she is sat at the table with us and at the perfect height for eating. No kneeling up or cushiosn needed, DD doesn't see it as a high chair at all - it is just her dinner chair. She also uses it at the computer and for doing table play - crafts, jigsaws, colouring, etc.

Oh, and it looks great too - important for us as we did have open plan in the apartment and even know it is in a living/dining room. No plastic bright colours, easy to keep clean, and never had any problems with tipping, etc.

Definitely recommend it as one of our best buys!

sansouci Fri 19-May-06 22:25:21

Yup. Agree with you there. Ikea's are by far the best deal.

hulababy Fri 19-May-06 22:26:23

I don't like the idea of trays at all. I much prefer DD eating with us as part of the family, rather than being pushed back on her own. Much more social IMO. We used to just put her things on a largish table mat an it was that simple. We do have a very easy to clean table though, and until last year had laminate flooring for spills.

sansouci Fri 19-May-06 22:28:11

Also I use my highchair to sort of, well, er, "contain" my ds when I need to cook or need him out from under my feet. He's got this massive tray to play on. Playdoh & our oak dining table don't mix too well.

brimfull Fri 19-May-06 22:31:11

tripp trapp lasts for years ,my teenager shares it with 3 yr old.

claricebean Fri 19-May-06 22:39:33

Definitely worth it. They have been my absolute best buy of all baby / child paraphernalia. I have one for DD aged 5, DD aged 4 and DS aged 16 months. They're easy to clean, can be adjusted to your child's exact height and look good too. Our first one still looks great and DD has had 3 meals a day for 5 years on it. A big initial outlay but the best value for money you could ask for IMO.

springintheair Mon 22-May-06 22:07:20

I bought a v similar highchair to Tripp Trapp for 1/2 the price from Argos. Bought it cos dd2 like dd1 hated being strapped in and always found a way to get out of ordinary sort of high chair. With the Tripp Trapp lookalike she can climb in and out hersefl without falling which is great.

Angeliz Mon 22-May-06 22:08:58

We are thinking of getting 2 too.
We are getting our Kitchen done soon so will wait till then but nice to see positive reviews here first

hockeymum Tue 23-May-06 08:36:15

update - have now ordered the BabyDan highchair from Kiddicare for £59. It looks pretty identical to the TrippTrapp but half the price! It is reviewed on MN Best pages and gets a better review than TrippTrapp but they have it at £99. Impressed with Kiddicare it's next day delivery and you can track the parcel online! it will arrive today and I'll post and let you know what it is like

hockeymum Wed 24-May-06 16:19:05

Really impressed with the BabyDan one. It came last night and DD had tea and breakfast in it. It's really nicely made, a doddle to put together and looks nice too.

However, today, I got my email from Tchibo on this weeks offers and they have a similar one for only £24.99!! D'Oh. Nevermind!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: