Talk

Advanced search

From pushchairs to vacuum cleaners, we've tested hundreds of products in real homes with real families. Head over to Mumsnet Reviews to find out which ones came out on top.

hi what is the best double pushchair???

(16 Posts)
chickster1981 Thu 18-May-06 20:50:24

i am going to need one ds will be 2 1/2 so i rather him in pushchiar if i on me own couldnt manage him walking runing off ect... needs to be sim ish ideas plz

morocco Thu 18-May-06 21:18:16

I don't like my graco one as for a newborn the strap was too low so he looked like he was going to slide off the end of it all the time
a negative review for you!

RuthT Sun 21-May-06 19:54:36

I don't have two but the one I have seen that looks good is Phil and Teds

There is a great website for reccommendations

\link{www.babyandtoddlergear.co.uk}

MerlinsBeard Sun 21-May-06 20:01:03

my 1st was 23 months when ds2 was born. he was fine walking, we had a walking strap for a whiole that attached to his wrist and mine. there are plenty of options available for you tho, not ness a double buggy. there is the buggypod, a buggyboard, seat to go and also keeping ur eldest in the buggy and putting newbie in a sling/carrier for a while which is what we did

shazronnie Sun 21-May-06 20:01:29

At 2 and a half I would get a buggy board. I have the litaf seat to go which the child can sit on as well as stand.

mabel1973 Sun 21-May-06 20:02:32

I have just bought an Out n about instep nipper - it is a side by side buggy and I haven't read a bad review of it anywhere, I thinki it is the slimest and lightests side by side on the market - it also folds fairly compact.
A friend of mine has a Phil and Teds and they do look great but I would say that her DS2 (6 months) is quite a big baby and I think she is concerned that he will soon grow out of the seat at the back before her DS1 is ready to give up the front seat and walk - plus they have a rubbish view!

hermykne Sun 21-May-06 20:04:24

dont have phil and ted but it is good, had my kids in one recently, 31/2 and 22mths and they were quite content, its dear thou.

some Jane models are quite nice.

my mc claren went to charity as soon as i could get it there, putting dd onto a buggy board at about 3, she still napped til then in the day so i could walk with both at a decent pace.
hated the mcc but i suppose it did the job.

spinach Sun 21-May-06 20:07:51

mabel... why would her son have to give up his seat and walk...? I've just got a phil and ted's and cant see why? or have i missed something and i'll have the same problem?

mabel1973 Sun 21-May-06 20:43:59

I don't know - that's just what she said to me, I am assuming the seat at the back is quite small?
Her DS 2 is coming up to 6 months but is in 9-12 month clothes, so he is a big boy!

hermykne Sun 21-May-06 20:49:41

mabel my 3 1/2 yr old sat in the back seat no problem and my ds hes 22mths, they would have sat in either seat quite happily.

23balloons Sun 21-May-06 20:54:40

saw a lady with a P&T in ELC today and the poor baby was screaming, he was practically at floor level and I was afraid a toddler was going to drop something on his head. Also she had huge amounts of things over the handle bar which looked like they could easily fall on him at any moment.

I had a graco tandem which was great for a newborn as he was totally enclosed in the back section. Not so good if your front passenger is very heavy and you do a lot of walking though. Luckily I just used it in shops and when ds was old enough he sat in the front which made the whole thing a lot lighter and easier to push. It wasn't perfect but only cost £90 and was really strong and sturdy.

I suppose it depends on how much walking you do and where you walk. I personally didn't like my buggyboard as it really hurt my back when pushing with it on and ds1 could easily jump off and run away.

mabel1973 Sun 21-May-06 20:58:22

oh well - maybe she was talking rubbish???!
You might want to think about whether both your children might need to sleep in the buggy, as I think with some tandems you can't recline both seats?

Chickpea Tue 23-May-06 15:32:28

I had the same dilemma but only 1.5 years between Mine. I have used a Maclaren twin traveller very slim for side by side, reasonably priced and suitable from birth. I got mine second hand from e-bay and as I reluctant double bugy owner have really found it very good!

hotmama Tue 23-May-06 15:58:47

My dd1 was 16 months when dd2 was born. I have a Phil and Ted and it is fab. I went to the Baby Show at the NEC at the weekend and I should have been on commission because of the number of people who kept on stopping me and asking all about it.

I've got a friend who has one and dd's both want to be in the rear seat! HTH

Kidstrack Tue 23-May-06 16:04:03

I have a Twin Urban Detour from Mothercare, its light to push very easy to use but a bit bulky folded if you want to put it in the car, i only ever walk with mine and then fold it to bring it indoors.

jessicaandrebeccasmummy Tue 23-May-06 16:08:42

mamas and papas twin aria - jess was 15mnths when beck was born, and it has been a fab buggy

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: