Talk

Advanced search

From pushchairs to vacuum cleaners, we've tested hundreds of products in real homes with real families. Head over to Mumsnet Reviews to find out which ones came out on top.

Any budding plumbers out there? Wash Machine

(12 Posts)
flowertot Wed 17-May-06 12:08:04

Have just had my new washing machine delivered. However, where the old one had two inlet/outlets for water - one hot and one cold, the new one just has one which says connect to the cold water supply. So what on earth do I do with the other one?? Obviously I will have a flood the minute I turn the water back on if its not connected somewhere. Its supposed to be such an easy job and I guess I am going to have to call a plumber in now. What a pain - and an expense

sandyballs Wed 17-May-06 12:10:35

I will ask DH later, he's training to be a plumber.

LIZS Wed 17-May-06 12:12:40

Can't you just connect it to the cold inlet one and leave the hot switched off, there should be individual taps/valves on the pipes. We have the opposite , 2 inlet pipes on wm but choose to only cold fill so have a y-shaped tube (from a diy store) so that both tubes link to the cold inlet pipe only and leave the hot one switched off.

flowertot Wed 17-May-06 12:39:30

I presume if I leave the hot tap switched off then won't have any hot water for anything? To be honest I don't have much idea about any of these things. Have plumbed in washing machine before and its dead easy - but not now the pipes have changed!

LIZS Wed 17-May-06 12:41:30

Isn't it just the hot tap for the wm pipe, if not a plumber could put a valve/tap on it for you so you can seal it independently

SoupDragon Wed 17-May-06 12:43:33

Most inlet pipes for stuff like this have individual taps on them so you can turn them off.

SoupDragon Wed 17-May-06 12:44:49

Not a tap looking tap mind you, it has a little plastic arm and if it points along the pipe it's open and if it's at right angles, it's shut.

flowertot Wed 17-May-06 12:46:10

Am off to look for taps! Thanks for tips will go investigate. Its all behind and underneath out cupboards so not an easy job. But I am filthy and soaked from taking the old one out don't suppose it matters anymore!

foxinsocks Wed 17-May-06 12:47:26

like soupy says, the end of the hot tap probably has it's own little turn on/off thing. In fact, if it's not gushing water now, you've probably turned it off anyway (unless you turned the whole water supply off further up). Some wm only connect to the cold and heat the water internally.

LIZS Wed 17-May-06 12:48:06

oh and they are usually coloured blue and red. If you do switch off and disconnect have a bowl handy to catch any residual flow.

Bugsy2 Wed 17-May-06 12:50:56

No, you don't need a plumber, you just need to make sure that the hot water outlet is closed off. There should be a small tap /valve type thingy on it.

flowertot Wed 17-May-06 12:56:17

Yes I turned the hot water off further up then system so thats totally off. I have had a look and the pipes go behind the units and out of eye sight. I think the tap/valve is behind the dishwasher. But that is built in so I can't pull it out. I know the plumber had a right out time getting it in so I guess he will have to come and get it out again just to switch off a small tap. What a pain. Thanks everyone for your help

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: