Talk

Advanced search

From pushchairs to vacuum cleaners, we've tested hundreds of products in real homes with real families. Head over to Mumsnet Reviews to find out which ones came out on top.

What buggy systems have a carry cot that can be used in the car ??

(13 Posts)
melsy Wed 17-May-06 10:58:23

I have the Jane Matrix Carrera and its about 3 years old and we're having problems doing practice runs fitting it in the car with a car seat next to it in readyness for baby no2. It seems buggys and systems have changed SOOOO much in that time with so many new brands and styles, some of which are ridic, looking at the £5k buggy thread yesterday lol. Ive seen some amazing ones around that look like space age things.

compo Wed 17-May-06 11:00:42

I thought the first stage car seats where the baby can lie down and be changed in them weren't meant to be very safe if that's what you mean

melsy Wed 17-May-06 11:06:00

ermmm no, I was under the impression that the Jane Matrix is specifically designed for use in the car and lies flatIt can be fastened securely by 2 car straps one on each side. The baby has a very wide strap that goes over them and velcros.

LIZS Wed 17-May-06 12:24:45

Some of those designed to be used like that did really poorly in safety tests and disintegrated on impact but iirc the Matrix wasn't tested at the same time.

Seona1973 Wed 17-May-06 15:58:46

Although mothercare sells some car seat/carry cot things it does say this as well:

Mothercare does not recommend carry cots (designed to be used in vehicles) as child restraints unless specifically advised by a health professional

lisayb Wed 17-May-06 15:59:29

I have been toying with the idea of getting a jane carerra pro/matrix but am a bit concerned over the safety of the lieflat car seat. Are they not that safe?

melsy Wed 17-May-06 17:16:13

Surely its better for there backs to be laying flat ,rather than hunched over almost in a baby car seat?

LIZS Wed 17-May-06 17:37:27

Not if they get catapaulted out or crushed in an impact . Some newer rear facing seats - ie Maxi Cosi Cabrio - have adjustable back rests so they can be less inclined.

melsy Wed 17-May-06 17:45:02

Thats a big worry , but they are strapped in with straps that sit over their chests that are about 5" deep. I need to look more into any tests done on the matrix.

Coolmama Wed 17-May-06 17:50:05

I used the Jane lie -flat seat and was never worried about DS not being safe - the seat attaches to two seatbelts on either side and then has both a 5-point harness and a large velcro strap to use - my only problem is that DS is a rather long baby and so his little legs hung over the edge quite early on and when we used it as a rear-facing carseat, he then had his knees next to his ears!!! - so had to move him to a forward-facing car seat at 10 or 11 months iirc.

pegasus Sun 21-May-06 13:25:16

The Chicco CT Trio now has it I believe (-I have the old one that had a carrycot but couldn't be used in the car)

RuthT Sun 21-May-06 19:36:39

I had the Jane Matrix for my little one and swapped to the Britax Isofix for babies once I read the which guide on baby car seats. They did not reccommend one carry cot for use in the car. Also the place I bought it from subsequently stopped selling it! A bit of a worry, as my dd had been in the seat for about 6months by then.

I think it more about thier head moving around than thier body.

melsy Sun 21-May-06 19:55:25

Im soooo confused now , think we need a trip to shops to get an idea of all the systems. Such a shame , dd seemed so happy and content in her carry cot , was great to take her from car to chassy and not wake her.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: