Talk

Advanced search

From pushchairs to vacuum cleaners, we've tested hundreds of products in real homes with real families. Head over to Mumsnet Reviews to find out which ones came out on top.

An adult-sized sun-shelter

(14 Posts)
PrettyCandles Mon 15-May-06 19:27:07

You know those pop-up sun-proof tents you can get for babies and little children? I need something similar but big enough for me to lie down inside. I'm 171cm (5'8").

Anyone come across such a thing?

PrettyCandles Mon 15-May-06 19:27:33

Oh, and tall enough for me to sit up in.

Skribble Mon 15-May-06 23:48:17

Not exactly pop up
Bigger than a kids one but not for standing up
Ooh we are getting bigger
Beach gazebo
Giant Laundry basket?????

Skribble Mon 15-May-06 23:54:38

Windbreak type thing .

PrettyCandles Tue 16-May-06 08:51:51

Brilliant, Skirbble, thanks. One of your links led me to this , which is very nearly ideal (I would like a groundsheet, but OTOH, no groundsheet means less sand lodged in it).

Loved the beach gazebo - might get that for camping as it's rain-proof as well.

What about that giant laundry basket?! Wha-ckeee. Useful though if you want to eat outdoors in Scotland or some other midge-ridden place.

MerlinsBeard Tue 16-May-06 08:53:43

make sure u pay attention to how its folded up PC, we had that same tent and had a nightmare folding it up again, we still have it screwed up in a wierd shape and shoved in teh shed!

PrettyCandles Tue 16-May-06 09:00:54

Oh crumbs, mumofmonsters - when I started reading your post I thought you were going to say that you didn't fold it up correctly and that it opened itself up in your car! Thanks for the warning .

MerlinsBeard Tue 16-May-06 09:07:33

we didn't fold it properly!!! we stuck it in the boot and slammed the door!!! had an absolute nightmare and brought most of the beach back with us! we got it 2nd hand so it didn't have any pegs and u have to fill the pockets with sand so it doesn't fall over.

I am currently looking for something a little less stressful to take with us this year! looks like a plain windbreaker and huge brolly!!

Skribble Tue 16-May-06 14:37:31

PrettyCandles i saw that one but I didn't think it was big enough.

With regards to securing the pop up things a couple of clamps from the pound shop will stop it attacking you half way down the M1.

DH has a 8m kite that folds down the same way, or should I say doesn't fold down. I am going to have to get some clamps as the bag that is supposed to contain it is straining like a pair Chippendale's trousers and looks fit to burst at any moment.

PrettyCandles Wed 17-May-06 22:29:21

I saw it on display at Mothercare today, crawled in and had a lie-down: it's perfect. Unfortunately they were completely out-of-stock, couldn't even order it for me. So what's the point in having it on display?

BTW, for restraining Chippendale trousers, another option is to get Velcro straps. I got them from the haberdashery section at a large dept store (JL?) but I think you can find them in Poundstretcher-type shps as well. They're brilliant for restraining virtually anything that they can be wrapped around, and don't add bulk.

Skribble Wed 17-May-06 22:42:07

LOL I now have a picture in my head of me restraining a chippendale in the back of my car with velcro straps .

TicTacsMum Wed 17-May-06 22:42:44

PrettyCandles - they had them in Mothercare in Aberdeen today. Not sure if that's any use to you. Could they send one to you? Not sure.

PrettyCandles Wed 17-May-06 22:45:50

ROFL Skribble! I don't think I'll sleep too well tonight - that thought is just too distracting .

Skribble Wed 17-May-06 23:13:10

Phone up your local Mothercare or go back in and see if they can track one down, I can't remember from when I worked there if they do shop transfers but a lot of chain stores do as they are always shifting stock about anyway.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: