Talk

Advanced search

From pushchairs to vacuum cleaners, we've tested hundreds of products in real homes with real families. Head over to Mumsnet Reviews to find out which ones came out on top.

Pram dilemma - advice needed!

(14 Posts)
Wallace Mon 15-May-06 16:23:29

We have been offered an old-fashioned soft-bodied pram, quite like this one

I love it, but I am really not sure that we have the room. It may be quite hard to get it in and out of the house. But the baby is due in the summer, and I have visions of being able to leave it outside to sleep. I would use the pram everyday as we walk to school, but obviously we would need another pushchair for outings etc as this one will never fit in the car! I don't know if this pram will be comfy enough for walks in the woods, but I imagine it may be.

So do I accept this pram, and buy a cheap lie flat stroller as well. Or do I accept the fact that it really is too big for our house, and buy something like this instead?

LIZS Mon 15-May-06 16:28:10

tbh I don't think the one on that second link would be much more compact than the first.

shazronnie Mon 15-May-06 16:32:37

have the oone you love and buy a cheap umbrella fold stroller for the car / occasional use.

blueteddy Mon 15-May-06 16:37:03

Message withdrawn

Wallace Mon 15-May-06 16:42:16

You are probably right that the other one is just as bulky. And seeing as the lovely pram is being given to us free, we could afford to buy a stroller, and then if pram didn't work out we could still buy another one.

I will have to bring it home and see if I can manage to get it in and out of the front door! We have a step up to am external door, then an internal door at right angles to it (with another small step up)

Anyone know if you can get raincovers for this style of pram?

Wallace Mon 15-May-06 21:02:52

bump

misdee Mon 15-May-06 21:05:24

there is a man on ebay who sells raincovers for prams. very cheap as well.

or you could try the coverter raincover from mothercare, i was going to pop one on ebay tomorrow.

shazronnie Mon 15-May-06 22:23:59

or don't bother going out in the rain!

Wallace Wed 17-May-06 19:34:57

LOL shazronnie - I live in Scotland, I would be almost permantly housebound

misdee - I will have a look on ebay, and if you haven't sold your raincover by the time I make up my mind I'll let you know!

brimfull Wed 17-May-06 19:39:14

I love the old fashioned one ,those big wheels do it for me .So springy and excellent for napping babies in the garden.

julie25 Mon 22-May-06 13:10:36

hi just to say them old fashion prams are waterproof dont need extra raincovers ok
and inside there vinyl so just wipes up easy

Wallace Mon 22-May-06 13:27:20

Thanks Julie - I was wondering if it might be waterproof, I noticed yesterday that it is vinyl inside. Doesn't the material on the outside (cord sort of fabric) get drenched though?

I've also been looking for a sun canopy on ebay but they go for so much money

julie25 Fri 26-May-06 10:22:46

hi not the normal old fashion prams dont is urs cord pram what colour is the inside is it dark navy can get quite warm in the summer months without a suncanopy on the pram but there so cool

MrsBadgerTheCelloPedaller Fri 26-May-06 10:37:46

Definitely take up offer of free pram!

You can get a 'universal' type raincover to fit it (quite well-priced ones here ), but re getting it in the front door, you could just take the carry cot off and leave the chassis outside locked to something with a bicycle lock - the couple next door to us do this when their mates with a large pram come round.

These big prams don't need to get hot in the summer - if you take off the hood and apron and use a cotton sheet on the mattress it's as airy as you could want. A proper frilly sun canopy like this will indeed be expensive, but a parasol on an adjustable arm is cheap and can be used on any future pram/pushchair (and actually their traditional canopies are quite well-priced too - Ebay isn't always the cheapest place)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: