Talk

Advanced search

books for my 14 month old DD

(22 Posts)
mckenzie Thu 04-May-06 21:54:45

I'd like to buy DD some new books as she spends ages looking at the ones she's got but they are all DS's old ones and I'm bored with them even if she isn't!

I'd love to have the names of some that your children have loved please as there are so many out there to choose from and I just know that with my luck, I'll buy some that DD deosn't like!

TIA

singyswife Thu 04-May-06 21:58:33

Hi My kids favourites at around that age were, "my teddy" and the follow ups to it. They also liked "we're going on a bear hunt" and the are now really into "The Gruffalo" and all the books by this author. These are all rhyming stories and my kids absolutely love them to the point that we can all read them without the books.

MamaG Thu 04-May-06 21:59:50

Mine love/loved:

the very hungry caterpillar
the very busy spider
Peepo (i've been known to look thru this on my own)
Guess how much I love you
Thats not my teddy

BettySpaghetti Fri 05-May-06 10:04:45

my two both loved books with holes in at this age -one was a basic first words type of book. They loved poking their fingers through the hole, peeping through and grabbing your finger as it poked through.

Also loved Lift-the-flap books - I think Red House and Usbourne do sets of these regularly at very reasonable prices

zubin Fri 05-May-06 10:08:56

Bear Hunt without a doubt, ds has gone through 2 copies already (they fell apart because we read them so much), he's 2 now and can talk along with the story - well in his own way!

nowanearlyNicemum Fri 05-May-06 10:10:30

dd is now 19 months
her favourites over the past few months have been:

The Very Busy Spider
The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Monkey Puzzle - Julia Donaldson & Axel Scheffler
the That's not my .... series from Usborne (she has puppy, dolly, mermaid)
Blue Kangaroo is her current favourite but I'm not sure who that's by (dd currently asleep in her room so don't want to disturb!)
Any 'lift the flap' books are always a winner I find.

mckenzie Sat 06-May-06 14:57:52

thanks all. The Hungry caterpillar was a favourite with DS too so that's already on DD's shelf along with the Usborne 'that's not my' range.
I'll invest in the other suggestions though and see what takes her fancy.

katiebl Sat 06-May-06 16:00:44

HAiry Mclairy is popular with my ds and also each peach pear plum. He likes books with flaps and books that rhyme. Ahve you thought of getting a few out of your local library to identify some authors or styles your dd likes before you buy - could save you some money.

onelife Sat 06-May-06 16:09:20

Anything by Rod Campbell, Dear Zoo, Noisy Farm and others, very simple lift the flap books. Anthing by Helen Oxenbury, very simple picture books all of babies with titles like Dressing, Playing. These are what my son liked best. I found charity shops very useful, if you spend 20p on a book and it doesn't turn into a favorite it is no big deal (just bought a perfect copy of Guess How Much I Love You for 30p). Also my son really loved looking a baby picture dictionaries and playing the "where's the......" game.
As well as Red House try The Book People, good for older kids books too.

nowanearlyNicemum Sat 06-May-06 19:54:04

oh yes, forgot about Dear Zoo.

and also 'Has anyone seen Kipper's Bear?' or something like that!!

mckenzie Sat 06-May-06 21:17:47

good idea about the library katiebl. we do go there quite a bit and DD loves pretty much any book while she's there. My trouble is that i bring them home and then forget they are library books and always end up running overdue

katiebl Sun 07-May-06 09:51:44

my record for library book is 3 years late , my biggest fine (ok I had more than 1 book) was £80 - have you got a calendar/diary you could write the dates on? or put a note on the fridge? I'm lucky now I only take books out of uni library and they send me an email a couple of days before they're due back.

onelife Sun 07-May-06 11:09:58

Put a memo on your mobile phone so it texts you with a reminder when the books are due. My library don't charge fines on childrens books and I think that is quite normal.

wavydavy Mon 08-May-06 17:18:46

Try the Toys Guide to books for different ages

Books for different ages

It certainly gave us some ideas. Hope you find somehting that DD loves.

mckenzie Mon 08-May-06 21:22:46

good idea Onelife. And thanks for the link Wavydavy - I'm off to look now. I've got quite a list so far from this post and I'm planning on getting as many as possible from the library first and then i'll go shopping and buy some of the ones that she loves the best.

shazronnie Mon 08-May-06 21:28:26

Spot the dog.
Very boring for mummies, but very interesting if you are 1.

claricebean Mon 08-May-06 21:31:55

My 16 month old likes Sandra Boynton's Going to Bed Book and Moo, Ba, La la la. (And I love them!!)

beansprout Mon 08-May-06 21:34:22

Ds loves Maisy the Mouse - there are loads of them so a good one if dd takes to them!

beansprout Mon 08-May-06 21:37:04

Poppy Cat is another favourite as is Dasiy the Duck.

Claricebean - my rendition of "three singing pigs go la la la" became so bizarrely camp after the 50th reading we had to take the book back to the library. But, the pigs live on, and it has stuck as some sort of catchphrase in our house.

gladbag Mon 08-May-06 22:08:42

I'd recommend (or at least ds, now 2.2, loved and still loves...)

Brown Bear, Brown Bear and Polar Bear, Polar Bear by Bill Martin (lovely and repetitive, good for pointing and learning animal names and colours)

Along with Dear Zoo, Rod Campbell does some other small hardback flap books - Oh Dear (particular favourite), Farm 123, Buster's Day etc

Hug by Jez Alborough (v simple, but lovely)

Each Peach Pear Plum - Allan Ahlberg (classic!)

My Mum and Dad Make Me Laugh - Nick Sharratt (very bright bold pictures, with lots to point at and talk about)

One Bear At Bedtime - Mick Inkpen (great fun counting, and ds loved finding the tiny caterpillar in each picture)

Have fun... HTH

MumtoBen Tue 09-May-06 10:13:13

My son (15 months)likes the Dr Seuss books, especially "Hop on Pop". The rhymes make him laugh. They do Board books in this range.

He also likes the Osborne "That's not my" (dinosaur, monster etc).

Africalass Thu 18-May-06 16:29:32

Hi there. I am an Usborne organiser and can confirm that we have loads of books for young children should you wish to purchase them. If you go to www.usbornebooksathome.co.uk/catalogue and select early years, it will bring up all the titles available., all of which come highly recommmended. If you wish to order some books, write to me at hsbooks@hotmail.co.uk and we will order them for you and give a 10% discount from the catalogue price. My name is Hannah. Hope this helps.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: