Talk

Advanced search

iPad - WiFi or Cellular?

(8 Posts)
rubyhorse Fri 16-Nov-12 21:48:48

Hello - I'm considering an iPad for Christmas. I'd like to use it to get online when I'm out and about in places which don't necessarily have WiFi. Will I need to buy a Cellular version of an iPad for that, or is there something I can do with a mobile phone / dongle to avoid the need?

Thanks for any help - complete newbie here...

Vivalebeaver Fri 16-Nov-12 21:53:59

Mines just wifi and I use my android smartphone as a wifi hotspot when out and about if I can't find a proper wifi hotspot.

rubyhorse Fri 16-Nov-12 21:56:30

Sounds good. How do you do that? Do you have a good data package on your phone?

rubyhorse Fri 16-Nov-12 21:57:00

(because I'm just about to upgrade my phone and need to know what to look for!)

BertieBotts Fri 16-Nov-12 21:59:56

If you have a fairly decent smartphone then yes you can share your data connection as a wireless access point. If you're on android, you can check if your phone has this capability by looking under the settings/wireless and network and seeing if the option is there.

However, this is not always counted as part of your standard data charges/allowance, it's best to check with your network provider about this. Also it tends to kill the phone battery, so it might be worth getting a back up battery.

Other than that you can get a wireless mobile/dongle thing, which runs on batteries and creates a little wireless network for itself which you can connect an iPad to. You'll need to put a sim card into this, not a normal phone sim, but a data only sim, and the charges are the same as the USB dongles you can get for laptops/computers (ie, pay monthly or pay as you go, although with PAYG sometimes there's a time limit as to when you have to use the data by)

If you get the 3G iPad it just has a SIM card holder, like a phone, which you put the data sim into (it should come supplied with one) and again the charges are pay as you go or monthly, but the iPad will be able to connect via wi-fi as well so you won't necessarily need to use it all the time, you could save data-heavy actions like updating or downloading apps for when you're at home.

Hope that helps a bit? TBH if it was me and I wanted it mainly for using out and about then I'd go for a 3G one and save the hassle of having an extra thing for the batteries to die on.

BertieBotts Fri 16-Nov-12 22:04:53

You should be able to ask in the shop when you get the upgrade to be shown which phones have the facility.

I found one today for a man who came into our shop, the Galaxy Ace 2, and the HTC Wildfire definitely works too (as he mentioned he'd done it before with his brother's phone) but I have a Galaxy Apollo and that can only do AP which sounds similar but isn't the same - and doesn't seem to work. hmm DP can do it on his Galaxy S2 also, just to throw another name in there. I'm sure that most phones are capable of it, so it will depend on your price range really.

rubyhorse Fri 16-Nov-12 22:08:40

That's helpful - thanks!

Alameda Fri 16-Nov-12 22:13:40

I have a 3G one which I pretend is an iPhone so can get a cheaper data package with 3 - I don't know why they charge more if they know the sim is in an iPad - didn't know you could use a phone instead

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now