Talk

Advanced search

Kindle Fire HD or Nexus 7?

(4 Posts)
Trudgeley Mon 05-Nov-12 22:37:17

Hi. My daughter turns 11 next week, and I thought I'd get her either the new Kindle Fire HD or the Google Nexus 7. I am, however, not good at knowing all the technical stuff and therefore which would be best. I think she'll probably use it mostly to play games, watch movies and surfing the net. Can anybody offer me any advice to help me make my mind up???!!!!

AndrewD Tue 06-Nov-12 15:27:35

I have neither, but I do have an Android phone which is basically the same as the Google Nexus 7 (just smaller and with a phone built in).

I would get the Nexus as it won't have the same restrictions that an Amazon (or Apple) device would have.

For what it's worth, I'd get my kids a proper reading Kindle (£69) rather than a tablet computer. But that's just my "read read read" pushy Dad side coming out . . . . smile

Trudgeley Thu 08-Nov-12 23:30:51

OK, thanks for that. Where do you order all the apps and stuff, is it Google Play? Have I got that right?

AndrewD Fri 09-Nov-12 12:25:52

Yes. Google Play is the store for games and applications as well as films and books. At the moment you can't get music from Google Play, but I imagine, you have music on a computer that you can transfer to the Nexus. You can get music using Amazon's MP3 application to listen to and buy music.

For reading you can also download the Kindle App from Google play and then buy ebooks via Amazon to read on the Nexus. Google has a Book app too if you prefer not to use Amazon eBooks.

Basically Amazon make it easy for you to use all their stuff (eBooks, Music and shopping) on Android and the Nexus.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now