Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

anyone recommend a good board/family game for 8 and 10 year old

(12 Posts)
Ladyemem Sat 03-Nov-12 23:11:39

they already have monopoly, downfall, deal or no deal, connect 4, yatzee, cluedo, scrabble

thought about game of life or pictionary??

What game do your kids play most?

droitwitchymummy Sat 03-Nov-12 23:20:42

How about Uno or Jenga? They are also old enough for chess or draughts & my 9yo ds also likes Othello

Himalaya Sat 03-Nov-12 23:24:41

Not the Game of Life!....Att least not if they make you play it with them. I've hidden our copy because it makes me lose the will to live.

Try Carcasonne, Ticket to Ride or Settlers of Catan.

DizzyHoneyBee Sun 04-Nov-12 07:51:56

Uno goes down well here, and also Labyrinth.

ja9 Sun 04-Nov-12 08:01:43

Rummikub

Dededum Sun 04-Nov-12 08:14:38

7 victories is immense fun and takes about 40 minutes. We play it with 9 and 10 year old boys.

DottyDot Sun 04-Nov-12 08:18:53

Ds's are 10 and 8 and we all love Uno - it's really easy to pick up, a card game which somehow makes it ok for the 10 year old as it feels 'grown up' and we take the cards on holiday/round to the grandparents etc and they play too. Can highly recommend it!

They also love playing Bingo! We've got a really old set at their grandparents - they love the little ball thingy you have to turn to mix up the numbers. grin

The other old favourite is monopoly, but that drives me bonkers and nearly always ends up in tears so I can't recommend that..!

DizzyHoneyBee Sun 04-Nov-12 08:24:50

Oh, and the game of life is great fun.

Ladyemem Sun 04-Nov-12 08:36:03

thanks everyone. keep suggestions coming in

ILikeToMowIt Sun 04-Nov-12 10:12:25

Ds1 (8) and ds2(6)'s favourites are Catan, Carcassonne, Uno and Bandu/Bausack. Of these I think personally I like Bandu best. It is like Jenga in reverse: you have to build a tower, but the pieces are all different, and some are quite impossible.

LadyLetch Sun 04-Nov-12 11:59:15

My almost 9 year old likes pictionary, card games and UNO extreme (the random card machine definitely adds to it). She also likes to try cranium, but we do have to adapt it as some of the challenges are too hard... But as a team game, that is easily overcome.

Trudgeley Mon 05-Nov-12 22:33:11

Cranium is fun. There is a version for younger kids too, which my 8 and 10 year olds have played.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now