Talk

Advanced search

Laptop rights non AIBU

(11 Posts)
altinkum Sun 07-Oct-12 09:45:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RobynRidingHood Sun 07-Oct-12 10:04:52

It's secondhand, refurbished, out of warranty; take it to an independent repair shop.

if you want to get rid of macafee, reinstall the whole lapetop and dont reinstall macafee

GoldShip Sun 07-Oct-12 10:23:54

I don't think they'll do anything.

Get a new battery charger. This might sort your problem altogether, if not you may need a new battery. Depending in the model it might be hard an/or costly to get one.

The mcafee, I know it sounds silly but you have tried to uninstall it from the control panel haven't you? Because I've never heard of a programmed not letting itself be disabled.

squeakytoy Sun 07-Oct-12 10:26:22

It is out of warranty, so I dont imagine there is very much you can do other than take it to a repair shop.

And also what Goldship said, you need to go to add/remove programmes to properly remove the virus software.

Laptops seem to have an incredibly short life expectancy. I'd go to independent repair shop. They can assess it and tell you if it's worth repairing. Don't be suprised if it comes back as a false economy though. <learnt the hard way emoticon>

WelshMaenad Sun 07-Oct-12 10:33:30

YABU to have waited until the warranty had expired before thinking if raising ongoing problems with the merchant.

You can get new charger cables on eBay for a tenner.

PigletJohn Sun 07-Oct-12 10:36:01

"the battery cable died"

don't understand that. What do you mean? You say it works when on charge but not otherwise.

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 07-Oct-12 10:37:15

Hi - we'll be moving this thread into Products in a moment.

Actually, I would disagree. The Warranty may have expired, but the warranty is in addition to your statutory rights under the Sale of Goods Act, and it still applies (as far as I can tell) to second hand or refurbished goods. So you still have rights to receive goods which are of satisfactory quality which includes a specific clause regarding durability. If you take a look over on the moneysavingexpert forums there will be more info there. linky

Also, how did you pay for it? If it was by credit card then your credit card company are jointly and severally liable under the Consumer credit act section 75, so whilst your first point of recourse is the retailer (NOT the manufacturer!) you have a back up there.

Oldandcobwebby Sun 07-Oct-12 10:43:51

The 1979 Sale of Goods Act requires that items sold must last a reasonable amount of time. 12 months for a laptop seems a poor deal to me! It is the retailer's responsibility. Go back to Argos and tell them! Btw, I just got a new TV from Richer Sounds after mine failed 14.5 months after purchase. No quibbles there!

GhostofMammaTJ Sun 07-Oct-12 10:59:22

Here are some Toshiba chargers. Quite cheap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now