Talk

Advanced search

exploding hexbug batteries

(5 Posts)
frenchie05 Thu 19-Jan-12 21:29:28

I just want to alert as many people as possible about the danger of exploding batteries in hexbug nanos. My son was given two hexbugs for christmas and when the batteries ran out I simply took them out to replace them. Both batteries exploded, the first one within a minute and the second one about 2 days later. Fortunately my children were not near the batteries at the time but I dread to think what could have happened if they had been. The fact that 2 of the batteries exploded means it is not a 'one off'.

I have contacted the uk division of Hexbugs and their answer was simply 'shall we send you a new one?'. When I said that wasn't what I wanted, I wanted someone to answer my email they fobbed me off and have ignored all correspondence.

Please, please, please can you help by telling as many people as possible. If people are aware of this situation (there are videos on YouTube about this so it isn't an isolated problem) they can at least put the batteries straight in the bin and thereby prevent someone from being seriously hurt.

MaxsMom Mon 23-Apr-12 04:48:50

My sons Hex bug Battery JUST EXPLODED TOO!!!!!!!!!! yours is the only post i have found so far so thank you for posting this !!!!!!!!!! it was a huge crack/pop sound. he is only 4 and luckily he was not near it. the battery was not in the bug as we had changed the batteries for fresh ones today. i am soooo shocked as this could have blinded him and also caused burns. please post some news if you have had any luck with the company as these batteries are defective!!!!!!! they are the same ones sold in the little hex packaging at $2 a piece!!!!!!!!! unbelievable

zwhiteice Thu 14-Jun-12 15:41:22

Yesterday the battery in the Hex Bug Ant exploded! It broke and blew the cover right off and the battery was in 2 pieces! The bang was pretty loud for such a small battery! It was a good thing that no one was playing with it at the time!

mamajenny Mon 23-Dec-13 22:57:58

This just happened to us. We had changed the batteries for our sons hex bugs and the old one was sitting on the counter. We heard a loud pop and something flew up and we noticed it was the battery. My son and husband were right next to it! Very scary!

JoRoMo Sat 12-Nov-16 08:06:06

Hi I know this is an old thread but the same thing happened to us yesterday. The battery in our hexbug ran out recently and it was just sitting on a shelf. It spontaneously exploded and the plastic on the bug shattered. Could have been awful had my child been holding it at the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now