Talk

Advanced search

From pushchairs to vacuum cleaners, we've tested hundreds of products in real homes with real families. Head over to Mumsnet Reviews to find out which ones came out on top.

Tips on a biggy for a neraly 3 year old

(10 Posts)
marialuisa Mon 10-Nov-03 21:23:52

I normally walk to school with DD and then home again in the afternoons. It's about a 2 mile trip each way, up and down a hill. There is no way DD can manage the walk in the afternoons, and TBH I prefer to have her in a buggy in the mornings because it's quicker!

We've worked our way through various prams etc and ended up with a cheapy 30 quid offering from Mothercare a few months ago. It is completely knackered and pushing 2.5 stone of DD uphills twicw a day everyday is doing even more damage to my seriously dodgy back and leg. Can anyone recommend a buggy big enough for a tall 2.8 year old that will stand up to serious battering and doesn't cost the earth? Are any of the new maclarens any good? Prior to mothercare c**p we had a daytripper and that did nearly 12 months before I wrecked it....

DD walking all that way, especially after a full day at school is not an option!

M2T Mon 10-Nov-03 21:29:33

Biggy?? lol.

I;m on my second Mothercare Jive £35 one. I find them okay, but the first one wore out after about 8mths. I put it down to the fact that I overload it with shopping all the time. So we bought him another one as I assumed he wouldn't be in it for long. My ds is 2.4yrs but he isn't a big lad.

I was really surprised at the jump in price from the the £35 jive buggy..... the next lot seemed to be around the £70-£100 mark. I'm intersted to see the suggestion you get for when my Mothercare one gives in again.

Sorry, not much help.

marialuisa Fri 14-Nov-03 13:28:01

M2T, Mumsnet may have been useless, but DH went and got a Mothercare Urban Detour all by himself (fall on floor in dead faint!) it's fantastic and as you're planning no.2 is fine from birth and has a sort of step that tired toddlers can sit on. It is quite bulky though so perhaps not great if you've only got a small car or use public transport a lot.

M2T Fri 14-Nov-03 13:32:16

Thanks Marialuisa - Can't believe nobody suggested any! COME ON MUMSNETTERS!

But alls well that ends well. Unfortunately I don't drive and neither does DP so we use the bus and train ALOT. Something light and very foldable (zat even a word??) is what I'll need.

Wow how conscientious of your DP. Well done Mr MariaLuisa!

M2T Fri 14-Nov-03 13:32:52

Ooops, didn't mean to unmarry you and your DH! Sorry.

M2T Fri 14-Nov-03 13:33:49

MY GOD! I umarried me and my DH too!!
Must be having a commitment issue today. lol.

marialuisa Fri 14-Nov-03 13:42:04

Actually M2T I'm getting suspicious, he bought me posh dress for a wedding we're going to in December (think it's in your neck of the woods, aren't you in Glasgow?) and now went to mothercare and got a buggy all on his own. Really out of character!! He's very proud because he got the ex-display model for half-price.

M2T Fri 14-Nov-03 13:49:18

Do you live in Scotland ML??

I work in Glasgow, but I live about 30 miles East. Where in Glasgow is it? And when? We could maybe organise a meetup with a few other Scots MN'tters.

I've never been to a meetup yet they all seem to happen in London. Or too far away for me to get to..

Don't be paranoid... lol... he got the exdisplay one... it was a male triumph over consumerism!

evian Fri 14-Nov-03 16:51:30

marialuisa

we have a maclaren techno xt from kiddicare £99.99 included delivery - £150.00 from mothercare - it is fab my DS is 20months but a very very tall one - helooks about 3 and it sit him very comfortably and it lies down to

marialuisa Fri 14-Nov-03 17:44:59

No M2T, I'm in merseyside. DD's godfather is getting married in Ayr just before Xmas, DD bridesmaid, Dh is best man. Hence DH got me the posh frock, so I don't let the side down!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: