Talk

Advanced search

Tablet computers... which one to buy?

(15 Posts)
aurynne Tue 04-Oct-11 00:09:56

I am going back to Uni to re-train and I need a lightweight computer to take with me. I was looking into buying a tablet, but I am overwhelmed by the variety of them, many are really good and I have no idea which one would be better for me.

I would be using it for browsing the internet, e-mail, photos and for taking notes in my lessons (so it should be able to have MS Office or an equivalent program). Also for Skype, so camera on the front a must. I won't be using it for online playing, so gaming is not a factor.

The ones of you that have a tablet, could you please tell me how good/bad it is, the pros and cons, how useful you've found it to be, the price you paid, which extras you think are necessary?

If you are an expert in the matter, could you recommend one that would be ideal for me?

You will have my eternal gratitude smile

HappyHugs Tue 04-Oct-11 20:33:54

Check out Which? online. I'm pretty sure they did a comparative review fairly recently.

aurynne Tue 04-Oct-11 22:39:44

Thanks HappyHugs, i have just checked, but you need to be a (paying) registered member in order to access the reviews. I have checked online reviews, but I was hoping for real people's opinions smile

Pekkala Tue 04-Oct-11 22:51:28

Hi Aurynne,
Personally, I'd get a netbook with Windows (+ therefore Office on it) rather than a tablet. If you are taking notes or writing assignments, the real keyboard is much much easier to use than an on-screen one (IMO).
My netbook is small & light, no bigger than a book & I'm much happier slinging it in my bag than my tablet (I have an HP Touchpad, now no longer available) which I tend to use just for browsing/watching iplayer at home.
Plus my netbook (a cheapy Dell) cost me £150 and most tabs are £300+.

If you're still set on a tablet, you could do worse than look at the Hannspree Hannspad, available on Ebuyer for about £150. You can then get OpenOffice for free.

Don't forget if you get a Windows-based system you can get Office professional for ~£40 rather than £400 if you have a .ac email address - www.software4students.co.uk/

Trills Tue 04-Oct-11 22:59:42

Don't.

Get a netbook or a proper laptop.

If you are studying you will want to be able to type stuff.

Seriously, don't get a tablet.

mycatsaysach Tue 04-Oct-11 23:01:08

why trills?? i was going to get one of those new amazon kindle thingies next yr

Trills Tue 04-Oct-11 23:10:20

I would be using it for browsing the internet, e-mail, photos and for taking notes in my lessons

Because aurynne wants to be able to type stuff on it.

Tablets are nice for consuming media (looking, reading, listening, watching) but rubbish for typing. They really are. It will be slow and difficult to make notes on one.

mycatsaysach Tue 04-Oct-11 23:12:11

but emails and posting on fb/mn etc wd be ok??

Trills Tue 04-Oct-11 23:13:48

Depends... how much do you write and how quickly do you expect to be able to type?

mycatsaysach Tue 04-Oct-11 23:14:47

don't write much - will it be as quick as my pc??

Trills Tue 04-Oct-11 23:15:21

Have you ever typed on a smartphone? Typing on a tablet is pretty much just like that only bigger. I would much rather have £300 worth of laptop than £300 worth of tablet (if I could only have one).

mycatsaysach Tue 04-Oct-11 23:17:46

oh ok thanks i will have to have a good look when they come out over here

aurynne Wed 05-Oct-11 02:19:38

Thanks for your advice. As I am aware of the pain in the neck that writing on a touchscreen is, my idea was to buy one of these leather cases with a small keyboard to use during my intensives, and just take the tablet for the rest of the time, in which I wouldn't be taking many notes.

However, the idea of the small netbook is also good, I did not know they made them as small as Trills says. I have a laptop, but it is too heavy to carry around all day, that was the main appeal of tablets (small, flat and weigh less than a kilo).

Could you perhaps let me know what model your Dell Netbook is, Trills?

JarethTheGoblinKing Wed 05-Oct-11 02:21:19

HP DM4 at comet.

aurynne Wed 05-Oct-11 02:42:09

I have been looking at Dell Netbooks, and now the smallest one they make is as big as my own laptop... However I came across the Asus Eee Pad Transformer, which could really be the solution for me! A laptop when I need the keyboard and Tablet when I am out and about and need something lightweight and unintrusive. Also has a huge battery life apparently. Has anybody had any experience with this one?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now