Talk

Advanced search

crappy carphone warehouse 'oh, the law doesn't apply to US' rip off merchants

(10 Posts)
edam Thu 29-Sep-11 22:30:27

Apparently the Sale of Goods Act doesn't apply to Carphone Warehouse. So said the assistant, the manager and the ruddy 'customer care line' (and what a big, fat lie THAT name is).

Suggest everyone avoids them if you don't want to be left with a smartphone that dies after less than two months. And losing your whole address book thanks to their 'walk out working' service which involved the sodding manager 'syncing' my contacts. Turns out this actually means putting all my address book on the darn phone. Which has died.

All they would offer me is sending the phone off for repair - oh, and I don't get a replacement, I get a 'basic phone' instead of the HTC Desire that I'm paying good money for. Which doesn't even have my address book so is fairly f*cking useless.

Barstewards. HOW can a major retailer just decide the law doesn't apply to them? Apparently if their crappy HTC Desire had given up the ghost within 28 days they would have replaced it but because it's two months, no way. That is not what the ruddy law says!

Thieving, lying, cheating scumbags. NOT necessarily the staff - although certainly the manager who didn't explain he was throwing my address book away when he set up my new phone. But a major retailer can't just decide to opt out of the law - the people who run the company decided to try that one and need to be held to account.

AgentProvocateur Thu 29-Sep-11 22:33:29

God, I sympathise so much. I had the same problem with the bastards at t mobile. They said the act didn't apply because I'd had the audacity to use the phone outside, and rain had got in. I'd had the phone a week. They are wankstains of the highest order.

Dipsyistipsy Thu 29-Sep-11 22:35:29

Have you tried giving Consumer direct a ring,I find the whole thing so confusing that I have given up trying to understand consumer law.

mercibucket Thu 29-Sep-11 22:35:38

make sure you write a nice long letter to the newspapers about it as well - the torygraph does a good consumer complaints page

mercibucket Thu 29-Sep-11 22:36:09

oh yeah, and as always, don't forget to check if you get legal cover with your house insurance

edam Thu 29-Sep-11 22:37:20

It's just so infuriating, isn't it? I didn't even use mine in the rain or do anything wrong, the damn thing is just faulty. The assistant and manager both agreed. Wasted my lunch break and then another hour later on trying to sort this out. Which meant I was late home, and I'm going away for a work conference tomorrow so won't see ds until Sunday. :-(

Manager had the cheek to say it was my fault for not being ripped off even more by taking out the extended warranty. FFS, he works in a shop, he should have SOME passing acquaintance with the Sale of Goods Act!

edam Thu 29-Sep-11 22:38:48

Thanks, yes, I'm definitely going to pursue this one - how DARE they refuse to obey their very basic legal responsibilities that have been in place for more than 30 sodding years?

edam Thu 29-Sep-11 22:39:45

And may I just add that people should AVOID carphone warehouse because they sell shoddy, faulty goods and break the law?

AgentProvocateur Thu 29-Sep-11 22:45:31

I got trading standards / consumer direct involved, and they turned out to be pretty toothless.

I will add Carphone Warehouse to my (short) list of companies that don't deserve my money.

edam Thu 29-Sep-11 22:47:44

So that's Carphone Warehouse and T-mobile that treat their customers like shit and don't deserve our money. Maybe we should compile a list...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now