Talk

Advanced search

waterproof mattress protectors - fitted sheets or pad style things?

(7 Posts)
bintofbohemia Fri 23-Sep-11 09:20:56

We're about to take DS2 out of nappies at night, he's dry every night but you just never know. And randomly DS1 (5) wet the bed last night so we need mattress protectors.

I remember back in the day my brother having these horrific blue sweaty rustly plastic sheets - just having a look on amazon and it seems pampers now do bed mats. Are they better/rubbish/a rip off? Should I just go with a fitted vinyl sheet? Any advice? grin

thisisyesterday Fri 23-Sep-11 09:23:27

we use fitted sheets. dunelm mill do nice breathable terry ones which are quite inexpensive.
the kids have 2 each so if there is an accident i ahve another to put on

bintofbohemia Fri 23-Sep-11 09:26:43

Ahhh, good thinking. Hadn't thought that I'll actually need at least three...

KatieMiddleton Fri 23-Sep-11 09:34:50

Boots do fitted sheets for incontinence that feel like brushed cotton but are waterproof. We have one for ds's bed and one on our bed (bought when pg and possibility of waters breaking). You really wouldn't know it's there and we've left it on our bed under the sheet. Just as well when DS does a mammoth wee in his nappy first thing while sitting in our bed that leaks out the top hmm

feedthegoat Fri 23-Sep-11 09:39:41

I second the boots one as being really good. Ds doesn't have accidents any more but I have left it on his bed as a just in case as you honestly wouldn't know it was there.

I did use the disposable mats too in the early days with a cot sheet over so I could just whip that off in middle of night without having to change the whole bed. I have to say though that it wasn't always enough protection so I wouldn't want to have to rely on that alone.

bintofbohemia Wed 28-Sep-11 09:12:14

Thank you - ended up with the Dunelm Mill ones. They've not been tested yet, fingers crossed! grin

judimac Mon 03-Oct-11 17:54:22

On cot we had John Lewis terry waterproof fitted sheets, which were great. On beds we have cotton waterproof fitted sheets from Aldi, only £9 each (single size). They take a while to dry after washing (the plasticky side tends to drip) but otherwise they are brilliant. Look like normal sheets, no rustling, etc. Also good for vomit nights, btw, not just toilet-training... If you find some cheap ones, buy spare in case you don't find the offer again!

Tbh, it IS a bit of a faff to change the whole bed in the middle of the night, but I prefer it to the disposable mats as you never know where exactly the 'spillage' will go! We use the disposable ones for next to the cot/bed on sicky nights. Wish I'd thought of that sooner...!

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now