Talk

Advanced search

CHEAP car seat?

(7 Posts)
CardyMow Sun 11-Sep-11 02:57:59

I don't own a car, but will need a car seat for taxi journeys (I know you don't have to in a taxi, but it's safer), and the very occasional journey in other people's cars.

DS3 is 7.5mo, but it on the 100th centile for height - right now, when sat in his infant carrier (which was a hand-me-down from DS2 who is 7yo!), his NECK is at the top of the seat, so I am pretty sure he is too large for it - he weighs 9.2kg.

However, all the car seats I can find that are the next step up from an infant carrier (the 9mo+ ones) seem to be isofix. Which is no good AT ALL if you are going to be using the seat in numerous different cars, a lot of which are too old to even HAVE isofix points. So, what car seat can I get, that's cheap but will do the job I need it to?

I am on a very limited income, and this is something that I just WON'T get the use out of, and won't be able to sell on, so I can't justify spending much on it when I will lose that money. Am I being hopeful thinking that my budget is around the £30 mark? It is genuinely all I can afford to spend on this.

I need one before Christmas, as we will be travelling in a family car on Christmas day, and a different family car on Boxing day. Most of the ones I have seen cost £100+, and they are all bloody isofix.

I don't know what to do - my other dc are older, only car seats they have had since being tiny are just booster seats, as DD had already been out of a car seat for 4 years when the new regulations came in, DS1 is so tall, he doesn't use a booster seat at 9yo (he is 4ft9). And DS2 has been in a booster seat with a back since he was 4yo.

I haven't got my old 9mo+ car seat - after seeing 3 dc, and spending most of the time lurking in cupboards, I threw it away nearly 4 years ago when DS2 was 4yo.

Sorry for long post - to recap, I need a 9mo+ car seat, NOT isofix, VERY cheap, preferably £30 or less. HELP!

LunaticIsOnTheGrass Sun 11-Sep-11 03:33:43

How about one of these?

Nothing special but ok for occasional use, I had one for my Dads car & it did the job fine.

fairimum Sun 11-Sep-11 13:40:30

Not sure when the Asda baby event finishes, but we have one of these direct.asda.com/Nania-Teamtex-Trio-Car-Seat/002671538,default,pd.html - wouldn't use it for everyday but is a spare one for if my mum takes him, it also goes rear facing too if he isn't yet old enough for forward facing. My 3.5 year old still fits in it ok too...

CardyMow Sun 11-Sep-11 23:44:38

Oooh I wonder if I can get it from Asda at that price on Tuesday? That looks perfect. Thank you!

CardyMow Sun 11-Sep-11 23:45:11

I like the fact that it can still rear-face for group 1 too.

Allboxedin Wed 14-Sep-11 19:59:50

Have a look on ebay, I have bought all our new carseats for around £30 sometimes less. Otherwise try amazon.

TiddlerCat Thu 15-Sep-11 10:07:29

We also bought the Asda one as a second seat - very good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now