Talk

Advanced search

Nintendo DS Help?

(13 Posts)
newpup Fri 26-Aug-11 19:14:14

DD2 has a nintendo Ds. One of the original ones, about 4 years old. My mum has offered to buy her a new one for her birthday. I do not want her to have a 3D one, I think it is called a 3ds? I am happy for her to have an updated version of the one she has as it is showing the signs of age and she uses it and has enjoyed it alot.

However, I am baffled, what is the difference between a DS lite and a DSI are they both the same or different consoles? Which is better? Also she has quite a large collection of games, thanks to Dh working away in the USA alot smile and will she be able to use these on a new machine?

Hope someone can help. When we bought hers there was only one type and only 3 colours to choose from! Thanks in advance. smile

BeerTricksPotter Fri 26-Aug-11 19:23:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BeerTricksPotter Fri 26-Aug-11 19:25:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PersonalClown Fri 26-Aug-11 19:27:45

Ds games work on all except the specific 3DS games.
DSi has cameras in them to take pics, an MP3 player IIRC and other bits and pieces. The XL is the larger screen version.

I just found out though that the 3DS can be parental locked so kids cannot access the 3D screen no matter how much they try! There's my excuse to by one as I want it as I don't want DS to play 3D too much.

puzzlesum Fri 26-Aug-11 19:29:35

Are these comparisons helpful?

DS lite vs DSi

DSi XL vs DSi

5inthebed Fri 26-Aug-11 19:30:16

You can't play the old style cartridge style games on the DSi or DSi XL. If this is not a problem and they have the sd card type ones, then I'd say go for the DSi as it has a camera and a slightly larger screen.

newpup Fri 26-Aug-11 19:39:17

Thank you! I knew mumsnet would not let me down! Any more hints gratefully received! grin

CardyMow Sun 11-Sep-11 03:10:32

The DSi has a very good camera on it - and you can take photos on it, do funny things to the faces, like make them go all 'squiggly', save them to a micro sd card, and load them onto your computer and print them out. The camera on DS1's DSi (bit of a mouthful, that is!) is better than the one on my mobile phone. envy. OK my phone is a bit poo, but the camera on it is at least 3MP.

Oh - it also voice records and has a voice changer on it. And you can go online to the Nintendo store and download games.

CardyMow Sun 11-Sep-11 03:12:48

And if your child likes Pokemon - on the Pokemon Black and Pokemon White, they can go on the Global Trading thing if you have WiFi and they can swap their pokemon with people all over the world! <<9yo DS1 LOVES doing this>>

jennyd51 Sat 01-Oct-11 09:11:14

I'm concerned about the possible bad effect Nintendo DS 3d is meant to have on eyesight for young children. Do people feel it's advertised enough by Nintendo that the 3d version is harmful for children under seven? I found the info on their website, but it's only when you click a link on health and safety information. I think it ought to have a very clear health warning. What do you think?

Seona1973 Sat 01-Oct-11 14:47:35

I'm sure the advert on tv says it isnt suitable for under 7's. You can turn the 3D off as well. MY 2 have the DSi's.

Ryoko Mon 03-Oct-11 16:58:16

All 3D is bad for kids under seven (Cinema, TVs, 3DS) this is because the eyes are not fully grown yet inside.

Everyone else shouldn't look at 3D for more then 2 hours a day as it fucks your eyeballs up, it's all a farce, 3rd time round for the movie industry just using it as a bandwagon to try and increase profits and decrease piracy and everyone else is jumping on the bandwagon.

fortifiedwithtea Wed 12-Oct-11 23:30:58

DD1 13 year old friend traded-in her DSi excell for DS 3d and regretted it. Gave her migraines. I did not know you can turn the 3d option off. Thanks for that useful info.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now