Advanced search

If I were to buy my ds (8) a ds, should I get him a dsi or a 3ds?

(16 Posts)
tassisssss Fri 19-Aug-11 20:42:11

And can I use regular ds games on the 3ds?

And anyone seen any good offers?

NettoSuperstar Fri 19-Aug-11 20:45:25

I'm interested too as it's dd's birthday next week and her ds is on it's last legs.

ja9 Sat 20-Aug-11 08:21:12

Are you thinking christmas already tass? Will watch with interest....

FlyMeToTheMooncup Sat 20-Aug-11 08:28:11

I don't have either (just got a normal DS lite) but I've heard the 3DS are absolute pants and nintendo have lost money on them, or somesuch thing. Sort of a "great in theory, rubbish in reality" situation I think?

DSi is like the old DS lite but with a camera, seems like a safer bet IMO.

tiredteddy Sat 20-Aug-11 08:38:00

We just got my ds 7 a dsi xl it is a larger version of the dsi so much much bigger screen and a camera etc. 3ds was nit recommended by anyone as headaches etc from using them . IMO it would be hard to share a 3ds as you need to view it front on to see the 3d effect whereas on a dsi he can sit with a friend/ his brother.

TheArmadillo Sat 20-Aug-11 09:48:18

I would get dsi

3DS - not everyone can see the 3d (same as films), gives some terrible headaches or makes their eyes go funny, limited for 3d games.

392830 Sat 20-Aug-11 09:53:14

Hi we played on a 3DS last week as we were considering buying one for our DD, However after playing on it for a minute my eyes were streaming had to turn 3d off, i would stick with a dsi maybe do a bigger sized one if they already have one.

picnicbasketcase Sat 20-Aug-11 09:58:17

DSi or DSLite, definitely. 3DS is a lot of money considering you then need to buy special games for it and it gives you a headache.

DrGruntFotter Sat 20-Aug-11 10:01:04

Message withdrawn

NettoSuperstar Sat 20-Aug-11 12:18:27

I'm going to get the dsi xl then.
Thanks folks.

tassisssss Sat 20-Aug-11 13:42:35

so no one likes the 3ds?

and can we talk differences between the dsi and the it just screen size?

TheArmadillo Sat 20-Aug-11 14:46:12

not just screen size - the entire consule is a lot bigger, roughly 30% larger (the xl is about the size of a standard filofax) a little heavier but roughly the same thickness as your standard dsi. The screens though are roughly twice the size of the standard dsi. Much nicer to play but less portable.

MilaMae Sat 20-Aug-11 17:38:11

Armadillo is picture quality as good on the XL? We heard pixel size was the same so quality not as good.

Also anybody know what to do if the microphone stops working on the DSi? Dtwin 2 will be turning 8 in Sep and the no microphone thing is bothering him.It's just out of warranty.Don't know wether to trade it in for a new DSi or just get an XL.

TheArmadillo Sat 20-Aug-11 18:29:30

dh says (its his consule - I've never played on it). That yes you do get the same number of pixels but on a bigger screen so picture quality is technically lower but not really that noticeable, though it depends on the game apparently.

escape Sun 21-Aug-11 19:38:40

interestingly, they have just lowered the price on the 3ds - my kids very happy with their dsi's - they love messing around with the camera too.

Portofino Sun 21-Aug-11 20:08:51

dd has a dsi. She loves it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now