Talk

Advanced search

large - but not too large - hula hoop

(2 Posts)
koalalou Mon 08-Aug-11 22:27:43

DD is asking for a large hula hoop. Apparently her teacher has big ones that she lets the children use and now she (DD) doesn't want to use the normal-sized ones. It's her birthday coming up so I thought I'd have a look but stupidly didn't ask her teacher about it before the end of term.

I have had a look online and there are quite a few 'exercise' hula hoops about, and these might be the ones her teacher uses - she does displays and also teaches hula hooping to some of the children. But they often also say 'weighted' which makes me think they may be too heavy.

Can anyone help? BTW DD will be 7 and is quite athletic but not very big iyswim.

acumenin Tue 09-Aug-11 08:39:02

Heavier hoops are easier to use for "hooping", what the dancers call it. My BFF is a professional hula hooper and she makes her own hoops to the right size, wrapping electrical tape round flexible piping, to weight them. I'm looking at a couple she made for me as I type, heh, and that's basically the construction. As far as I know, this is the normal procedure for hoopers-- they don't so much buy them.

Maybe it would be a good activity for you to do with her for her birthday. www.squidoo.com/how-to-make-a-hula-hoop www.jasonunbound.com/hoops.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now