Talk

Advanced search

Mooncups are RUBBISH!

(56 Posts)
StarlightMcKenzie Fri 05-Aug-11 18:15:10

2nd cycle and attempt.

Am I missing something?

Purplebuns Fri 05-Aug-11 18:23:01

I think you would be better off posting this in another topic, like chat or AIBU smile

changeforthebetter Fri 05-Aug-11 18:23:49

It took me several cycles to get the hang of them and I leak the first day without a pad for back up but that is because I am an old hag and my periods are getting heavier grin

I was far to stingy to give up on them and now find it great that it's just there in the cupboard, no faffing around with tampon boxes and replacing them. I don't rave about them like some do but it works for me (unless I am really a bit pissed - which is pretty rare - then it's umm hard to get them out blushgrin)

Is the stick bit too long? I had to trim mine - careful tho' too short and they are useless. Weird neighbour trimmed hers too much and then was offering it round in case anyone wanted it - and yes, she had used it hmm

PrettyCandles Fri 05-Aug-11 18:27:52

Yup, you are. Missing something, that is.

It can take a while to get the hang of the Mooncup.

Are you sure you have the right size?

Have you trimmed the stem? I think most people trim it off completely. I trimmed it over about 3 or 4 'uses', and it wasn't until I had trimmed it off completely that it felt completely comfortable and I got the hang of it.

Or is removal the problem?

KeepCalmAndPrayToCastiel Fri 05-Aug-11 18:29:28

Don't push it in too far. It needs to be pretty low or it leaks ime.

I love mine. Had it 6 years now.

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 05-Aug-11 19:11:44

I trimmed it daily as the stem irritated until it was all gone. I put it in really low but it travels. I have to stick my whole hand up there to get a grip, which I'm not especially queezy about but coming out of a campsite loo to get to the communal hand wash area with an egg cup and blood running down your arm and dripping off your elbow - well I don't rate that as success personally!

I conclude that mooncups are only for people that can always wee at home and where the sink is in the same room, who don't have heavy periods and Internet shop.

Which isn't most people - or is it?

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 05-Aug-11 19:13:44

Why is this the wrong topic btw?

jenniec79 Fri 05-Aug-11 19:16:07

Got mine at Boots.

Camping - take bottle of water into cubicle. (esp. until you get used to it)

I usually only empty it twice a day so in shower/ own bathroom as a rule. I have done in NHS staff loos/festival loos etc as well though. One of the many advantages is that there's no need to deal with it every time you go for a wee.

There is a knack to it, but well worth the learning curve!

Abra1d Fri 05-Aug-11 19:17:05

I work from home with basins within reach of the loo, but have very heavy, peri-menopausal periods, and find the MC kind of works. I have to have back-up protection on day 2. Make sure the little pinprick holes don't get blocked. That seems to stop it vacuuming into position properly.

frankie3 Fri 05-Aug-11 19:20:45

I have just bought one which I am going to start to use next week. The only bit I am worried about is getting it out as I have heard that it creates a suction effect and I am dreading this bit!

Purplebuns Fri 05-Aug-11 19:22:19

Just in terms of traffic and people seeing your thread smile

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 05-Aug-11 19:31:44

Oh right Purple, thanks.

Okay, right. I get the water bottle thing. Not thought of that. Have to try it although it might annoy me as I don't use bags as hate carrying things. Perhaps a small packet of those femi- wipe things might fit in a pocket.

Any way of stopping it getting lost. I always put it low but it's always high when I want to get it, and it only lasts 2-3 hours before it leaks (but that's the same with tampons).

StopRainingPlease Fri 05-Aug-11 19:32:30

In public toilets, or any without a sink, I just pour the blood into the toilet then wipe it with toilet paper (and myself if necessary but this is rare) and stick it back in. Job done smile. I've had it a couple of years and never washed it out in public.

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 05-Aug-11 19:33:39

Also, although I've trimmed the stem and even filed it, it still irritates. I also get concerned about what damage my nails must be doing when trying to get my fingers up the sides.

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 05-Aug-11 19:35:24

And how do you unblock the pin prick holes, even when you do have a sink?

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 05-Aug-11 19:39:24

Oh right, so loo roll can do the trick then?

frankie3 Fri 05-Aug-11 19:41:00

Omg I just had a look at it, it looks huge ! How do you get it back out? !

SilveryMoon Fri 05-Aug-11 19:41:19

It just takes practise to get the angle right on it.
I had to put mine in pretty much angled completely horizontal for it not to leak.
The holes on mine never blocked so don't know about that.
I used mine for about 6/7 months, after the first 2/3 months I'd cracked it.
Stick with it, it is worth it.
I miss mine sad

fuzzywuzzy Fri 05-Aug-11 19:43:04

you can unblock the hole using a small clean pin and wash it under running water.

The holes tend to stay clear on heavy days ime, but I always wash it out each change using a bottle of water.

I've used a mooncup at work, at A&E, home, in public loos at cinemas, retaurants, museums, I tend to carry a handbag and have an empty bottle in bag which I fill with water from the sink on my way into toilet cubicles in public toilets.

when you put the mooncup in give it a final twist to create suction effect, it should stay put, not ride way up.

FidgetPie Fri 05-Aug-11 19:46:17

I've just started using one and I love it. I particularly hated the peeing on the string you have with tampons and the dragging at the end of a cycle.

The removal is a bit tricky but I'm getting the hang of it. I find pushing it down with my muscles till I can grip the end (it travels quite far up) then one finger to break the seal and I can pull it down with that one as well.

I don't have very heavy periods so haven't had a problem with the pin holes.

swampster Fri 05-Aug-11 19:46:27

I didn't get on with Mooncups either, never got the stem trim right and found it uncomfortable and hard to get out. Luckily Mooncups are not the only cups. I now have several MeLuna cups in various colours and sizes with ball and ring endings to choose from. They are far nicer.

jenniec79 Fri 05-Aug-11 19:46:43

For the holes usually just fill with water while rinsing, put hand over the top and squeeze - voila water through holes!

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 05-Aug-11 19:50:22

Silvery, what happened to yours?

purpleknittingmum Fri 05-Aug-11 19:53:55

I do exactly as StopRainingPlease does when in public. Used mine for about 4 years now. How long are they supposed to last?

I fold it up, pop it in, then pinch and twist and you can feel it kind of unfold, sometimes take a second attempt to get it right

purpleknittingmum Fri 05-Aug-11 19:56:21

I like the look of the MeLuna cups! How do you know what size to get?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now